• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be forced to sell the trust?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

davidbk

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire

My brother is most likely to be filing for divorce in the near future. He and I jointly own a large portion of land which was pasted down to us by our parents. The land was put into a family trust which he and I are the trustees.

Can his wife force us to disolve the trust and sell the property for her portion of the divorce?

Will deleting my brother as a trustee protect the property from the divorce settlement?

My brother and I firmly want to hold onto this land. What is the best action we can take to hold onto the property?

Thanks, in advance...

davidbk

BelizeBreeze

doubtful since the land was never marital property but to be sure you need to have an attorney locally review all of the paperwork.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">