• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be reported to debt collectors and credit bureaus after a chargeback is settled in my favor?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Will i be reported to debt collectors and credit bureaus for winning chargebacks?

• Total voters

joebloggs

What is the name of your state? Florida

If I dispute a charge on my bank's credit or debit card and the funds are credited back to my card followed by the bank settling the dispute, can the merchant still try to recover the funds from a debt collector or report me to credit bureaus? Also, is there a timeframe after the dispute being settled where a merchant can sue me? How many months or years is it?

Last edited:

quincy

If I dispute a charge on my bank's credit or debit card and the funds are credited back to my card followed by the bank settling the dispute, can the merchant still try to recover the funds from a debt collector or report me to credit bureaus?
I don't quite understand what you mean. The charge was reversed so the money is in your account. Do you still have the originally purchased goods in your possession or something?

joebloggs

I don't quite understand what you mean. The charge was reversed so the money is in your account. Do you still have goods that you purchased in your possession or something?
I edited my post slightly, but no, I don't possess the goods, I was referring to an online service.

joebloggs

Did you sign a contract with the online service?
When you say the bank settled the dispute, what does that mean?
I had to sign up to the website and purchase the online services.
They refunded the amount and notified me that the dispute is settled.

Last edited:

Just Blue

I had to sign up to the website and purchase the online services.
They refunded the amount and notified me that the dispute is settled.
What type of online service was this? What do you mean by you "had to sign up to the website and purchase the service"?

Rather that the volunteers here playing dentist, please explain the situation in full so we can assist. Thanks. :)

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member

If I dispute a charge on my bank's credit or debit card and the funds are credited back to my card followed by the bank settling the dispute, can the merchant still try to recover the funds from a debt collector or report me to credit bureaus? Also, is there a timeframe after the dispute being settled where a merchant can sue me? How many months or years is it?
If the online service provider told you that the matter is settled, keep that e-mail or whatever the service provider gave you stating that. It would be useful should the service provider later sue you to collect what it thinks is owed for the service. Florida law provides a statute of limitation (SOL) of five years for written contracts, four years for contracts that are not written. The online provider may report to the credit bureau anything about the obligation is that is true. Thus, for example it could report that you owed $X for the online service that was disputed and no amount is now outstanding as that seems to be what the situation is.

joebloggs

If the online service provider told you that the matter is settled, keep that e-mail or whatever the service provider gave you stating that. It would be useful should the service provider later sue you to collect what it thinks is owed for the service. Florida law provides a statute of limitation (SOL) of five years for written contracts, four years for contracts that are not written. The online provider may report to the credit bureau anything about the obligation is that is true. Thus, for example it could report that you owed $X for the online service that was disputed and no amount is now outstanding as that seems to be what the situation is.
It was my bank that told me the case is settled and also that the temporary credit is permanent. Also, any idea what would the SOL for New York state? and on a different note, what if the service provider is located in Europe?

LdiJ

It was my bank that told me the case is settled and also that the temporary credit is permanent. Also, any idea what would the SOL for New York state? and on a different note, what if the service provider is located in Europe?
If the service provider is located in Europe then the odds of them following through with any other collection efforts is pretty slim.

quincy

New York state has a 6 year statute of limitations on both written and oral contracts and a 6 year statute of limitations for debt collection. The statute of limitations is the time within which a legal action must be filed.

What amount of money is involved? How much was the total cost of this service? Did you pay monthly or all at once? How long did you use this service before you decided you wanted to cancel it?

Whether it is worth the cost of pursuing a legal action against you for breach of contract depends in large part on how much money the online service lost.

adjusterjack

It was my bank that told me the case is settled and also that the temporary credit is permanent.
That was done as a courtesy to you. It does not bind the business to that decision. As far as the business can be concerned you could still owe the money and the default could still be reported to the credit bureaus and you can be sued if the business owner decides that a lawsuit is feasible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">