• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i be terminated because of surgery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

elmalo

I had surgery recently. Can my employer fire/terminate me while I am on NYS disability?
Also, I am a full time employee and have health coverage provided by my employer, can they cancel my coverage after a certain amount of time?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

It all depends on if your state is an "at will state". This means either you or your employer can walk away from the relationship without notice and with or without cause. That does not mean to say that wrongful or discriminatory termination is okay either.

As far as health coverage, you need to know what your individual policy is and whether they have a right to terminate benefits after a certain point.

On both, to get specific answers and solutions to your issues, please contact an employment labor law attorney in your state. You can either go to attorneypages.com or contact your state bar and ask for the lawyer referral program.

Hope this helps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">