• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I break my lease in DC?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dctenant223

What is the name of your state? Washington, DC

I moved in with my boyfriend four months ago with a one year lease that we both signed. Turns out I recently found out he has alcoholic tendencies, and when he’s wasted for days, he turns into a different person that I do not recognize.

I really want out of this situation. I’d be happy to stay here on my own or find my own place. Sadly, the lease does not end until the end of October 2019, another 8 months. I feel like I am being held hostage here, whenever I want to break up, either he threatens me and doesn’t want to go talk to the landlord or he starts playing the victim, or starts being nice to get me to stay. This has turned into a toxic relationship over time and I just want to get out of here. I told him he cannot go drinking because he gets out of control, and he’s agreed in the past. But now he’s saying I cannot drink at all either, when I only ever have just a few beers with friends. I don’t care what he does anymore, I just want to live my life and get out of this situation. Please help!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Washington, DC

I moved in with my boyfriend four months ago with a one year lease that we both signed. Turns out I recently found out he has alcoholic tendencies, and when he’s wasted for days, he turns into a different person that I do not recognize.

I really want out of this situation. I’d be happy to stay here on my own or find my own place. Sadly, the lease does not end until the end of October 2019, another 8 months. I feel like I am being held hostage here, whenever I want to break up, either he threatens me and doesn’t want to go talk to the landlord or he start playing the victim, or starts being nice to get me to stay. This has turned into a toxic relationship over time and I just want to get out of here. Please help!
Can either of you afford the rent on your own? Or can both of you?

dctenant223

I can. It’s not ideal and a bit expensive, but I could stay here for the remainder of the lease by myself. I just don’t know that he’d leave. How would I even go about this?

dctenant223

To make matters worse, he doesn’t have an official job. A few thousands saved up, and some income here and there but nothing stable. He’s able to afford rent until the end of the lease but doubt he’d want to stay here so I can leave.

LdiJ

To make matters worse, he doesn’t have an official job. A few thousands saved up, and some income here and there but nothing stable. He’s able to afford rent until the end of the lease but doubt he’d want to stay here so I can leave.
Not only do you have a problem with being stuck with a lease, but if he is someone without a job and without the credit to get a lease on his own he might even refuse to move out when your lease ends, which could obligate you to a month to month situation.

I would seriously consider talking to your landlord to see what they might be willing to do to help you. If the landlord would be willing to evict you both for something valid, and you get him moved out, then you could sign a new lease with the landlord.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I would seriously consider talking to your landlord to see what they might be willing to do to help you. If the landlord would be willing to evict you both for something valid, and you get him moved out, then you could sign a new lease with the landlord.
I'd not talk to the landlord about an eviction; an eviction an end up resulting in the OP getting rejected for future rentals. Prospective landlords are wary of renting to people who had to be evicted by prior landlords. But talking with the landlord about the situation and seeing if the landlord will allow you out, maybe with the payment of reasonable fee for early termination, is certainly a good idea.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">