• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I break this office space lease?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mike_upa

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My landlord has refused to consistantly turn on the air conditioning in my office this summer.

It was out of order at the beginning of the summer and was fixed. However, it is almost never turned on. The thermstat is in a locked box. His office also uses the same air conditioning unit, but mine gets the morning and afternoon sun directly and the office heats up. He says his office manager gets cold if it is turned on.

He has refused to put a vent which can be closed in his office. He has refused to just allow the fan to run to circulate the air. He has refused to give me access to the thermostat.

My windows do not open and I have had fans running all summer just to make the temperature bearable. I am embarrassed to have clients come to my office.

I have sent him a certified letter stating his noncompliance with the lease. The lease specifically states that I will have air conditioning. He received the letter a couple of days ago, but has made no effort to discuss the problem.

I have found out from another tenant that the last tenant moved out for similar reasons.

What should my next step be? Can I break this lease (it is for 3 years and I am 10 months into it)?

Thanks!

longneck

have you tried offering to pay the costs associated with making changes to the A/C system? there are ways to make a one-zone A/C system behave as a multi-zone system by means of dampers controlled by thermostats. call a commercial A/C contractor and get an estimate, then offer to the LL to pay all of it or a portion of it.

mike_upa

He will not even try turning on the fan which costs nothing. His office manager has some story that if the fan is turned on without the air conditioning, the roof leaks. I have never heard of that, but even if true, it is something he should repair.

Putting a closable vent in his office manager's office can not cost much. He is a home remodeler after all. He refuses to do this.

I did asked him to talk to a heating and cooling person. He told me that that person said nothing could be done. Since I was not present at the time, I am not sure what questions my landlord asked. I doubt he asked about the roof leak issue.

Every time I ask that the air conditioning be turned on, I get a snippy response from the office manager and only once in a while (if she is sufficiently warm) will it be turned on.

I am tired of the constant daily battle and just want out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">