• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I cancel this contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sucker

I just got suckered into an affiliate program on the internet with a florida firm. I'd like to cancel the contract I signed and faxed to them and then cancel the charge with my credit card.
My question is, can I legally cancel a contract entered into over the phone if I do so right away (the suckering took place just today)

Thank you in advance for your help.

(Name withheld because of embarrassment)
[email protected]

S

sucker

Sorry I forgot to post my state.
I'm in Illinois, the offending company is in Florida.

Thanks

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sucker:
I just got suckered into an affiliate program on the internet with a florida firm. I'd like to cancel the contract I signed and faxed to them and then cancel the charge with my credit card.
My question is, can I legally cancel a contract entered into over the phone if I do so right away (the suckering took place just today)

Thank you in advance for your help.

(Name withheld because of embarrassment)
[email protected]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In addition send a certified letter to the charge card company to remove the charge along with a copy of a letter sent to the Florida company requesting cancellation. You can legally cancel the contract. Just Do It.

JETX

With all due respect to HomeGuru, I believe he is incorrect.

Without knowing more about the contract conditions, it is probably a valid contract. There are very specific conditions that would allow cancellation (such as the 3-day rule on door-to-door).

However, HomeGuru is correct in advising to dispute the bill to your credit card company.
I suggest doing the following:
1) Send a letter (certified mail) to the 'merchant' (the contractor). In that letter, detail how you were mislead and your dispute. Ask that they issue a credit to your card account. Ask them to respond to your letter within a specific timeframe (10 days from receipt).
2) When you receive your credit card statement, send a letter to the credit card company disputing the merchant account. In your letter, detail the dispute and that you have tried to resolve it with the merchant without satisfaction. You need to send this dispute letter within 30 (or 60, I don't recall) days of receipt of your statement. It must be in writing. Look at the back of the statement for the specifics and the address to send to. Do not send it with your payment.
3) Upon receipt of your letter, the credit card company will freeze the charge on your card. They will also investigate the charge for your dispute and, hopefully, upon completion do a 'charge-back' against the merchant account and credit your account.

Hope that this helps.... and you were smart (or lucky) to pay this with a credit card. Payment by any other method would have left you in your 'contract'.

Steve Halket
Judgment Recovery of Texas
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Halket (edited June 29, 2000).]

S

sucker

Thanks for the help you guys. And expecially the detailed advice from you Steve. I'm going to do just as you say.

Sucker
(Real name still withheld because of embarrassment)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">