• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I claim a working child as a dependant?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Oregon

My daughter made 2,828 at a job in 2004. She also received 1,372 in Unemployment insurance for a grand total of 4,200. Since her total was 4,200 but her earned income was less that 3,000. does that mean I can not claim her as a dependant this year?

I support her. She only pays her car pmt.

Thank you.


Junior Member
Daughter's age

She is 24 and just now getting into the working mode.

She was not a student in 2004.


Senior Member
With $4200 in gross income, she fails the gross income test for support, which is $3100 for 2004. This includes all income, not just earned income. You cannot claim her.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential