• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I claim my child as a dependent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rubantin

My son turned 18 in April. He graduated with his diploma December 14th. He is considering moving out to live with a friend in an apartment for work and college. a local business is offering a scholarship program if he works there for the next two years. The program would put him to work this summer and he would be enrolled as a full time college student starting September.

So, in April he will be 19. In June he will be working at the business per contract for the scholarship. In September he will be enrolled full-time in college.

What can we do to ensure that he can still be claimed as a dependent?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Support him as a dependent. Use your favorite web engine to search for the IRS rules on who qualifies as a dependent.

rubantin

Yes... I have read that. But it's still really confusing to me. I had a concussion about a year-and-a-half ago and sometimes I can think of things very well. This is one of those things

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes... I have read that. But it's still really confusing to me. I had a concussion about a year-and-a-half ago and sometimes I can think of things very well. This is one of those things
You should probably consult with a tax professional to help you with your taxes.

FlyingRon

The IRS has a little interactive form that will walk you through whether you can claim him or not: https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/whom-may-i-claim-as-a-dependent.

So, the requirements go for a qualifying child as this:
Relationship: your son (or stepson or foster child) would meet this> meets this.
Age: If he's a full time student, he's good until he turns 24, looks good here.
Support: You must provide more than half his support (this you must calculate yourself, you've not given enough information).
Residence: Here we may have a problem. He has to reside with you for more than half the year, other than temporary absences. Now if all he was doing was moving into a dorm/apartment for his studies but maintaining your home as his official residence, you likely could make this fly. If he really has moved away from home to establish a residence elsewhere, he probably doesn't meet the requirement.
Not anybody else's qualifying child: Sounds like this isn't an issue. There's not anybody else that is involved (your ex who might also be the boy's parent?)

Note that there's less and less advantage to dependents these days. If you're not married, you could likely claim head of household status if he is your qualifying child. You can't use him to take the Child Tax Credit (he's too old). There's no longer any "exemptions" to take for dependents.

LdiJ

The IRS has a little interactive form that will walk you through whether you can claim him or not: https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/whom-may-i-claim-as-a-dependent.

So, the requirements go for a qualifying child as this:
Relationship: your son (or stepson or foster child) would meet this> meets this.
Age: If he's a full time student, he's good until he turns 24, looks good here.
Support: You must provide more than half his support (this you must calculate yourself, you've not given enough information).
Residence: Here we may have a problem. He has to reside with you for more than half the year, other than temporary absences. Now if all he was doing was moving into a dorm/apartment for his studies but maintaining your home as his official residence, you likely could make this fly. If he really has moved away from home to establish a residence elsewhere, he probably doesn't meet the requirement.
Not anybody else's qualifying child: Sounds like this isn't an issue. There's not anybody else that is involved (your ex who might also be the boy's parent?)

Note that there's less and less advantage to dependents these days. If you're not married, you could likely claim head of household status if he is your qualifying child. You can't use him to take the Child Tax Credit (he's too old). There's no longer any "exemptions" to take for dependents.
There is also the American Opportunity Credit if they qualify. That can be a very valuable credit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">