• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I claim W4 Witholding Exemption if I’ve never worked?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cbravvvv

I was claimed as a dependent for 2018 and 2019. I will start my first job (paid internship) January 3, 2020. I know I just file W4 for year 2020 and declare allowance.
My future employer is asking me to fill out W4 2019. Can I claim expemtion form witholding and should I?
I did not “ Have a right to a refund of all federal income tax withheld because I had no tax liability” since I have NEVER worked. I have never filed a tax return as a result.
Can I claim an exemption for 2019? I expect to file a 2020 W4 with 1 allowance.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I was claimed as a dependent for 2018 and 2019. I will start my first job (paid internship) January 3, 2020. I know I just file W4 for year 2020 and declare allowance.
My future employer is asking me to fill out W4 2019. Can I claim expemtion form witholding and should I?
I did not “ Have a right to a refund of all federal income tax withheld because I had no tax liability” since I have NEVER worked. I have never filed a tax return as a result.
Can I claim an exemption for 2019? I expect to file a 2020 W4 with 1 allowance.
The current Form W-4 is the one for 2020. There are no more allowances on the Form W-4 and the way you claim exempt is different. Print that out and give that one to your employer since you are starting the job in 2020 anyway. You may claim exempt on that Form if you meet the conditions stated in the instructions: (1) you have no tax for 2019 and (2) you do not expect to have any tax for 2020. Note that the tax that counts here is the tax before any estimated tax or withholding credits. If your income is below the filing requirements for 2019 and thus you don't have to file a return you meet condition (1). You'll have to estimate your potential tax to see if you meet condition (2).

LdiJ

The current Form W-4 is the one for 2020. There are no more allowances on the Form W-4 and the way you claim exempt is different. Print that out and give that one to your employer since you are starting the job in 2020 anyway. You may claim exempt on that Form if you meet the conditions stated in the instructions: (1) you have no tax for 2019 and (2) you do not expect to have any tax for 2020. Note that the tax that counts here is the tax before any estimated tax or withholding credits. If your income is below the filing requirements for 2019 and thus you don't have to file a return you meet condition (1). You'll have to estimate your potential tax to see if you meet condition (2).
You also need to take your state tax into consideration if you are in a state with state income taxes. Usually the income threshholds are much lower for state taxes.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
You also need to take your state tax into consideration if you are in a state with state income taxes. Usually the income threshholds are much lower for state taxes.
The state tax withholding would not be affected by the W-4, and in some states the withholding for state tax is set at a flat rate and the employee does not complete any withholding certificate. We don't know in which state the OP works. But I agree that the OP will have to consider the different rules for that state if there is a state tax withholding certificate that he/she needs to complete.

LdiJ

The state tax withholding would not be affected by the W-4, and in some states the withholding for state tax is set at a flat rate and the employee does not complete any withholding certificate. We don't know in which state the OP works. But I agree that the OP will have to consider the different rules for that state if there is a state tax withholding certificate that he/she needs to complete.
Ours is a flat rate and we still have to fill out a withholding certificate. That is because we still get a per person deduction/allowance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">