• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I Contact My Former Clients Customers and Report Their Scam

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kingmo

What is the name of your state? CA

Long story short I have a client who failed to pay out his full contract (I have proof, but they're out of state and it's not enough to warrant a lawsuit). I'm aware of an unethical business practice they engage in. I have access to their customer list still and they never removed my site access. Can I get sued if I contact their clients informing them of this?

Just Blue

Long story short I have a client who failed to pay out his full contract (I have proof, but they're out of state and it's not enough to warrant a lawsuit). I'm aware of an unethical business practice they engage in. I have access to their customer list still and they never removed my site access. Can I get sued if I contact their clients informing them of this?
Yes, you can be sued.

Px Hx.

quincy

Yes. You can get sued.

quincy

The unauthorized use of a company’s client list can be a trade secret violation. Any communication to clients about the company could result in a tortious interference claim or a defamation claim.

kingmo, you should either file a lawsuit to collect on what you are owed - or you should let it go and move on.

zddoodah

Long story short I have a client who failed to pay out his full contract (I have proof, but they're out of state and it's not enough to warrant a lawsuit). I'm aware of an unethical business practice they engage in.
What "business practice"? Why do you believe the former client's conduct in dealing with you constitutes a "business practice"?

they never removed my site access.
Not sure what that means. Are you saying you still have the ability to access this former client's business systems despite the termination of your relationship? What was it you were saying earlier about "unethical business practice"?

Can I get sued if I contact their clients informing them of this?
Of course you can. Anyone can get sued by anyone for anything. Actively and intentionally interfering or attempting to interfere with your former client's relationships with its clients is a great way to get a very large (and possibly non-dischargeable in bankruptcy) judgment against you.

quincy

... Are you saying you still have the ability to access this former client's business systems despite the termination of your relationship? What was it you were saying earlier about "unethical business practice"? ...
“Unethical” is in the eye of the beholder, perhaps? ;)

quincy

Someone who frequently asks whether he can sue or be sued might want to think seriously about how he is conducting himself in business and in life. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">