• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I counter sue my co signers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wondering14

I am in the middle of a civil suit with my car. The co signers no longer want to be on the car. They tried to sue me for the vehicles amount because I would not return the vehicle to them. The car is registered on my name only and not theirs. It’s been over a year already and I no longer want the car. I want to get off the regristration and i want my money I put into the car. Payments. I have proof of paying the car until now. I want to know how or what can I do to take my name off the registration. This vehicle is no longer worth keeping. The co signers have caused me a lot of problems. They have called my work, looking for me, impersonating cops, stalking me, harassing me, and calling me non stop. I have reported this all to police, even tried filing restraining orders to no avail. I have moved from the state to somewhere else and I am jus tired of this. I want to counter sue for depression, loss of work wages, defamation of character, stress, and anxiety. I no longer felt safe living where I was so I left. Now I jus want this car out of my hands. Can I counter sue them for a car they agreed to sign but now no longer want to be on?

quincy

I am in the middle of a civil suit with my car. The co signers no longer want to be on the car. They tried to sue me for the vehicles amount because I would not return the vehicle to them. The car is registered on my name only and not theirs. It’s been over a year already and I no longer want the car. I want to get off the regristration and i want my money I put into the car. Payments. I have proof of paying the car until now. I want to know how or what can I do to take my name off the registration. This vehicle is no longer worth keeping. The co signers have caused me a lot of problems. They have called my work, looking for me, impersonating cops, stalking me, harassing me, and calling me non stop. I have reported this all to police, even tried filing restraining orders to no avail. I have moved from the state to somewhere else and I am jus tired of this. I want to counter sue for depression, loss of work wages, defamation of character, stress, and anxiety. I no longer felt safe living where I was so I left. Now I jus want this car out of my hands. Can I counter sue them for a car they agreed to sign but now no longer want to be on?
What is the name of your state?

adjusterjack

Anybody can sue anybody for anything. You just aren't going to win any money because there isn't any money to win.

The money you paid toward the car covered the depreciation. You don't get that back. It's like you rented the car for a year.

You want out from under. Tell them to come get the car, the keys and sign the title over to them and you're done.

Wondering14

Anybody can sue anybody for anything. You just aren't going to win any money because there isn't any money to win.

The money you paid toward the car covered the depreciation. You don't get that back. It's like you rented the car for a year.

You want out from under. Tell them to come get the car, the keys and sign the title over to them and you're done.

We are still in the process of the suit. Is this an option?

quincy

The car can be for sale if it’s not paid off?
Yes. But you will have to pay off the loan with the proceeds of the sale. With luck, you can sell the car for more than you owe. Otherwise you have to come up with additional money to pay off your lender.

What do you owe and what is the car's market value?

Wondering14

Yes. But you will have to pay off the loan with the proceeds of the sale. With luck, you can sell the car for more than you owe. Otherwise you have to come up with additional money to pay off your lender.

What do you owe and what is the car's market value?

I owe 19 grand. We got it from the dealership for 30 grand with almost 3 grand down.. This car is fairly new. It’s only two years old.

HRZ

There is a logic gap in here...

the co signers don't own an interest in the car..they merely executed a contract to pay if you don't .

if the car is worth less than loan, you need to pay off shortfall to get it sold.

If you stop paying, lender is free to chase the cosignors .

All the rest of the social drama and fuss is just that ..and likely to have Zero value in a suit.

quincy

I owe 19 grand. We got it from the dealership for 30 grand with almost 3 grand down.. This car is fairly new. It’s only two years old.
Okay. I suggest you speak to the lender and get an official payoff amount. You will need to pay off the amount owing before you can provide any buyer of your car with a clear title.

There are a couple of ways you can pay off the loan. You can take out a personal loan for the amount owing on the vehicle and get clear title that way, so you can sign the title over to the buyer as soon as it sells. Then you can pay off the personal loan as you are able, using whatever you make from the proceeds of the sale that does not go to pay off the loan.

Or you can sell first and have the purchaser pay your lender (meeting you at the lender's), with you either making up what is still owed or coming away with whatever money is over and above the loan balance. You might find a buyer is reluctant to purchase a car this way but it is an option.

Good luck.

Last edited:

HRZ

No, together you all are on hook to pay

if you are a good poker player and say the sale value is but 16k you can ask the two cosignors to put up 1k each to unload the car

quincy

No, together you all are on hook to pay

if you are a good poker player and say the sale value is but 16k you can ask the two cosignors to put up 1k each to unload the car
Wondering14 is the one who should pay off the loan. And he should not lie.

ajkroy

Wondering14 is the one who should pay off the loan. And he should not lie.
This.

The fact that you obviously couldn't get the loan on your own means the the cosigners were there for you to help you get the car when you couldn't. I bet OP told the cosigners that *this* time would be different and he'd pay *this* bill.

Act like an adult and follow through with your agreements.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That's not correct in this scenario. The OP can't simply sign the car over to another party because there is a lien-holder.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">