• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I counter sue my co signers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What personal injury would that be?
"They have called my work, looking for me, impersonating cops, stalking me, harassing me, and calling me non stop "
You are correct. There is no personal injury other than possible defamation resulting lost of wage.
If the stalking is assailant which I hope this is not the case. Such trauma may be covered as a personal injury tort.

Just Blue

"They have called my work, looking for me, impersonating cops, stalking me, harassing me, and calling me non stop "
You are correct. There is no personal injury other than possible defamation resulting lost of wage.
If the stalking is assailant which I hope this is not the case. Such trauma may be covered as a personal injury tort.
Are you mentally impaired in some way?????

quincy

Please explain the defamation. Thanks.

For clarification, my question was directed to Legalsetgo. I have seen nothing posted yet that indicates there has been any defamation.

Last edited:

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
If I call someone at work, that is not illegal or actionable.

"Stalking" and "harassing" have colloquial definitions that do not necessarily correspond to legal definitions, and it is quit likely that OP is usiny these words colloquially, as it's in conjunction with hyperbole: "calling me non stop".

There is no defamation.They co-signed a loan with OP, by OP's own admission. They want to either have use of the car or be taken off the loan. They know that OP's credit is in the toilet, so they know that OP cannot get their names off the loan. Therefore, as they are as responsible for the loan as OP, and they'd like their credit to stop its spiral towards the sewer (OP is perhaps not as good as making payments as they'd like), the only option is to take possession of the car.

OP unreasonably wants to return the car only if they reimburse OP for all the payments that OP has made on the car. Since OP has had use of the car, and it has depreciated, this is not a fair request.

The only thing that sounds dodgy is "impersonating cops".

quincy

I am in the middle of a civil suit with my car. The co signers no longer want to be on the car. They tried to sue me for the vehicles amount because I would not return the vehicle to them. The car is registered on my name only and not theirs. Its been over a year already and I no longer want the car. I want to get off the regristration and i want my money I put into the car. Payments. I have proof of paying the car until now. I want to know how or what can I do to take my name off the registration.This vehicle is no longer worth keeping. The co signers have caused me a lot of problems. They have called my work, looking for me, impersonating cops, stalking me, harassing me, and calling me non stop. I have reported this all to police, even tried filing restraining orders to no avail. I have moved from the state to somewhere else and I am jus tired of this. I want to counter sue for depression, loss of work wages, defamation of character, stress, and anxiety. I no longer felt safe living where I was so I left. Now I jus want this car out of my hands. Can I counter sue them for a car they agreed to sign but now no longer want to be on?
As to defamation, here is a link to Illinois' Slander and Libel Act (740 ILCS 145/): ]http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=2051&ChapterID=57

Unless there is more to the story than has already been told - and because the police have seen no criminal impersonation, harassment or stalking (at least enough to consider charges), and there is nothing that indicates defamation - there appears to be no valid or supportable counter action available for Wondering to pursue.

If he does not want the car and his cosigners want to be released from their obligations under the loan, it is probably best for Wondering to find a buyer for the car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">