• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I deduct expenses for hotels, gas, miles, and tolls from my taxes?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmt111

NJ

I have reimbursed [corrected: UNREIMBURSED] expenses that I incurred as part of my employment that includes hotels I stayed at and driving / gas / miles / and tolls. This exceeds 2% of my employment income. Can I deduct these expenses from my federal or NJ taxes?

Last edited:

jmt111

This is not the same issue as the thread about offsetting my income with an LLC's losses or Section 179 Deduction. The other thread relates to how an LLC depreciates or takes a Section 179 Deduction for expenses and how that is reported to its members and whether members can offset their other income against the LLC's losses or the Section 179 Deduction. This thread is about whether I can deduct unreimbursed expenses, such as my hotel, gas, and mileage, from my wages.

Just Blue

This is not the same issue as the thread about offsetting my income with an LLC's losses or Section 179 Deduction. The other thread relates to how an LLC depreciates or takes a Section 179 Deduction for expenses and how that is reported to its members and whether members can offset their other income against the LLC's losses or the Section 179 Deduction. This thread is about whether I can deduct unreimbursed expenses, such as my hotel, gas, and mileage, from my wages.
Is it the same LLC? Yes? Then add this question and any other question regarding this business to that thread. Thank You...

LdiJ

Unreimbursed employee business expenses used to be deductible on Schedule A subject to a 2% floor. That deduction was eliminated with the tax law changes. So no, you cannot deduct them.

jmt111

Is it the same LLC? Yes? Then add this question and any other question regarding this business to that thread. Thank You...
This question has nothing to do with an LLC. This question relates to wages I receive from an employer and unreimbursed expenses that I incur for travel for that employer. It is unrelated to an LLC.

Unreimbursed employee business expenses used to be deductible on Schedule A subject to a 2% floor. That deduction was eliminated with the tax law changes. So no, you cannot deduct them.
Thank you.

LdiJ

This question has nothing to do with an LLC. This question relates to wages I receive from an employer and unreimbursed expenses that I incur for travel for that employer. It is unrelated to an LLC.

Thank you.
You do realize that you have asked exactly the same question on multiple threads? Please don't ask it again.

jmt111

You do realize that you have asked exactly the same question on multiple threads? Please don't ask it again.
It is easy to confuse the questions I asked in separate threads and to conclude that they are the same question because they both relate to whether certain expenses or losses can be deducted from my wages. However, they are not the same question. The question relating to LLCs relates to whether I can use losses from my LLC to offset my wages. This question relates to whether I can deduct unreimbursed expenses for hotels, gas, miles, and tolls that I incurred within the scope of my employment against my wages. Because the fact sets and questions are different, I posted them on separate threads.

jmt111

Does this new rule also apply to federal statutory employees? I have heard that it does not apply to them and that they can list the deductions on Schedule C.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">