• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I deduct the price of a printer off estate taxes as an executrix? Same Q for a cheap Chromebook for a hundred & 50?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?P.A.
I'm sorry mistake in my post. I mean't to say inheritance tax. I have a very low income. I'm the executrix of my mom's estate. My mom left whatever she has to my sister & I. If I buy a cheap Chromebook to help me with doing my work as executrix, Can I deduct this from the estate inheritance tax? Another words, if I spend 2 hund on a Chromebook, can we deduct 2 hund from the inheritance tax that I have to pay? If so, do I buy it with my money or from the estate account? Which one am I supposed to legally take it from? I am not charging any fee to be executrix of my mother's estate. Thank you.

Last edited:

LdiJ

I have a very low income, but have to buy a printer to do copies, ect... because I'm the executrix of my mpm's estate. Can I deduct this from the estate tax? If so, do I buy it with my money or from the estate account? What other things can I deduct from it. I am not charging any fee to be executrix of my mother's estate. Thank you.
If you need to make copies to the extent that it would be more cost effective to buy a printer/copier than to make copies at the library or a business services shop then yes, it would be reasonable to buy a printer/copier and have the estate pay for it and it would be a reasonable expense of the estate. However, I cannot imagine many estates where that would actually be more cost effective.

The same would apply for any other piece of equipment.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I have a very low income, but have to buy a printer to do copies, ect... because I'm the executrix of my mpm's estate. Can I deduct this from the estate tax?
PA does not have an estate tax. The federal estate tax applies only to very large estates, depending on the year she died her estate would likely have had be at least $5 million to be subject to federal estate tax. So are you asking about federal estate tax, or are you really asking about the PA inheritance tax, which applies to much smaller estates than the federal estate tax does? It does matter exactly what tax is involved. If it is PA inheritance tax, a PA Department of Revenue Inheritance Tax brochure states the following:

Can funeral expenses and the decedent’s unpaid bills be deducted from the amount subject to tax?
Yes, unsatisfied liabilities incurred by the decedent prior to his death are deductible against his taxable estate. In addition to debts incurred by the decedent or the estate, costs of administration of the estate and funeral and burial expenses are deductible, including attorney fees, fiduciary fees and the cost of the burial lot, tombstone or grave marker.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">