• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I do this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC

I belonged to a national organization that has local chapters all over the nation. I was a co-organizer for years and recently stepped down to enjoy the group instead of helping to run it. One of the women that we had trouble with over the years stepped up to take the group over.

I later found out that she contacted previous members of the group, people who had left the group 1-3 years previous and got "statements" from them that they left because of me. She then sent out a mass e-mail to every member of the group, over 50 stating that I was being removed from the group and alleged I had broken the rules etc.

So many people were outraged they quit the group all together or won't participate in things. Here is my questions:

Since their investigation was a "witch hunt", did they have the right to remove me?
Did they have the right to send out a mass e-mail, something that was NEVER done before.
Do I have the ability to sue for slander and libel not just the local chapter but national as well?

justalayman

Longsally1112;2904637]

Since their investigation was a "witch hunt", did they have the right to remove me?
Which was it: did you step down or were you removed?

Did they have the right to send out a mass e-mail, something that was NEVER done before.
yes

Do I have the ability to sue for slander and libel not just the local chapter but national as well?
did they slander or libel you? If so, who slandered or libeled you? You may be limited to the actor themselves and not even be able to touch the organization. Is the person who maybe slandered or libeled you a national leader or a local leader? Was the national leadership aware and supportive of the actions and statements?

sorry for the delay in answering. I stepped down to being just a regular member. Then, the woman that I had problems with for years took over the group. She then removed me from the group. She did an "investigation" that I found out was contacting people who were no longer in the group that I didn't get along with for one reason or another and getting "statements" from them that they quit because of me. They had been out for up to 3 years when they were contacted!!

I did find out that the national leader was notified of what they planned to do. She sent me an e-mail saying she was sorry of my feelings were hurt. It is my understanding by SC law that unless I am being accused of theft or not being"chaste", they are not allowed to slander me.

The e-mail they sent out to everyone was vague at best and stated I had broken rules, etc but there was an e-mail barrage from supporters and no one would answer directly as to why they did this. One woman did admit in a text to a friend of mine that this was a personal assault and she knew it and went with it anyway. I want to know if they are allowed to personally attack me, send out mass e-mails about it and then walk away scot free

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">