• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I download and modify YouTube videos under Creative Commons license for commercial use?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Legan

I want to download and modify YouTube videos under Creative Commons Attribution license (reuse allowed) for commercial use outside YouTube. I will state their credit.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I want to download and modify YouTube videos under Creative Commons Attribution license (reuse allowed) for commercial use outside YouTube. I will state their credit.
1: US law only
2: It depends on the specific terms of the videos involved.
3: I'd run your plan (for each video) by an attorney.

quincy

You will need permission from the content owner.

PayrollHRGuy

And if a video is marked with a Creative Commons CC that permission is given in keeping with the Creative Commons license.

quincy

YouTube allows users to mark their videos with a Creative Commons CC BY license.
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2797468?hl=en

CC BY
This license lets others distribute, remix, tweak, and build upon your work, even commercially, as long as they credit you for the original creation.
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/?lang=en
Adhere to the terms of the specific license granted and you are okay. Stray from the terms of the license or exceed the scope of the license and you are not okay.

Legan

Stray from the terms of the license or exceed the scope of the license and you are not okay.
?

"YouTube allows users to mark their videos with a Creative Commons CC BY license. This license lets others distribute, remix, tweak, and build upon your work, even commercially, as long as they credit you for the original creation. "

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
?

"YouTube allows users to mark their videos with a Creative Commons CC BY license. This license lets others distribute, remix, tweak, and build upon your work, even commercially, as long as they credit you for the original creation. "
Yes, you said that already. As Quincy said, if you do not abide by the terms of the license, then you are not OK. Another way to say it is that, if you abide by the terms of the license, then you should be OK. The reason I say "should be OK" is that you could still find yourself defending a lawsuit if you take from the wrong person.

quincy

?

I don't understand your question mark.

Creative Commons licenses come in a variety of shapes and sizes. They are not created equal.

Read your license carefully, understand what it does and does not allow you to do - or get an IP professional in your area to read and explain the license to you - and then do not exceed the authorization granted you.

PayrollHRGuy

There are 4 paragraphs of restrictions on the CC BY. Read and understand them. I'm assuming they use the BY for this.

quincy

If someone is not used to reading contracts, the terms of these licenses (or any license) can be confusing.

Because exceeding the permission granted by a license can result in a potentially costly infringement suit, it is important not to guess at what is allowed under the terms.

For business use, plans for use should be discussed with a local attorney. Nothing can put an end to a new business quite like a lawsuit can.

aradralami

Yes and no. The Creative Commons license specifically says that anyone is allowed to copy and share the works (in this case, the video). However, YouTube does not allow video downloads. There’s no way in the UI to download a video, and the terms of use specifically forbid you from copying any content for which YouTube does not provide a UI (section 5.1).
So… Technically the copyright holder of the video has given you permission to download and share them (even edit), but YouTube restricts you to only use their web-based video editor.
If you do use an external utility to download a video, you’re not breaking copyright law, but you are breaking YouTube’s terms of use.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">