• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I fight HOA Lawyer fee?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

randomness

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

Hi all,

I bought a house in a community that has a small HOA. It costs something like $16 a month. We just moved in at the end of last year, and our HOA fees were paid with the mortgage.

Cue today...I did not pay my last HOA payment (it is paid every 6 months). This is my fault, I understand, but this was my first payment since getting the house and I completely forgot about it. I am not denying I owe the money, and I will pay it.

However, rather than the HOA sending me a warning letter saying hey, can you pay your HOA fee (which I would have done no problem), I get a letter from the HOA's lawyer demanding the money and $170 for the lawyer. At this point, all the lawyer has done is send me a letter saying to pay the HOA fee and himself.

Am I wrong, or is $170 just to send me a letter kind of absurd, and is there anything I can do to fight this or at least get it reduced. I've heard you can arbitrate lawyers fees in Florida, but I don't know if $170 is too low to do it. I am willing to pay the HOA fee today, no problem, but I really want to fight the lawyer fee.

Thanks in advance

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">