• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I fight payroll docking from overpayment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zaos08

What is the name of your state? Ohio

By error of the payroll company, I received another employee's vacation pay while I was expecting a higher paycheck from a raise I was suppose to get. Now my checks are being docked. Do I have a viable fight back option?

justalayman

By error of the payroll company, I received another employee's vacation pay while I was expecting a higher paycheck from a raise I was suppose to get. Now my checks are being docked. Do I have a viable fight back option?
So you thought your raise was a doubling of your pay (presuming you and the vacationing party make similar amounts of pay)?

You look at nothing beyond your net pay when given your paycheck?

It is reasonable to expect a person to review the info on their check, especially when the net is well beyond what they would typically receive.

I’m guessing you are thinking you have a right to keep the excess money given your complaint here.

If you don’t believe you have a right to keep the money, what is your objection to the company reclaiming the overpayment?

LdiJ

So you thought your raise was a doubling of your pay (presuming you and the vacationing party make similar amounts of pay)?

You look at nothing beyond your net pay when given your paycheck?

It is reasonable to expect a person to review the info on their check, especially when the net is well beyond what they would typically receive.

I’m guessing you are thinking you have a right to keep the excess money given your complaint here.

If you don’t believe you have a right to keep the money, what is your objection to the company reclaiming the overpayment?
In all fairness, if someone's pay is doubled, their net isn't close to doubling. A doubling of someone's gross pushes them up into another tax bracket (because the tables assume that their pay will be that much all year long). I do agree that people need to be looking at their pay stubs because all kinds of things can go wrong if they don't, but I do see how someone who was expecting a large raise anyway, might not realize that getting someone else's vacation pay wasn't their raise.

justalayman

In all fairness, if someone's pay is doubled, their net isn't close to doubling. A doubling of someone's gross pushes them up into another tax bracket (because the tables assume that their pay will be that much all year long). I do agree that people need to be looking at their pay stubs because all kinds of things can go wrong if they don't, but I do see how someone who was expecting a large raise anyway, might not realize that getting someone else's vacation pay wasn't their raise.
Oh for Pete’s sake Ldij. The increase would be relatively huge. Unless the op was expecting a doubling in their pay the amount received really should have been a huge hint there was an error.

And my pay actually does double from time to time from what a regular weeks pay is. In fact I happen to have a couple paychecks right in front of me where the gross is just about double from one to the other (196% to be accurate). The net pay of the larger check is 189% of the lesser check. That is close enough to doubling the net compared to the gross to say it is in round numbers. The difference is not so great as you allude to.

LdiJ

Oh for Pete’s sake Ldij. The increase would be relatively huge. Unless the op was expecting a doubling in their pay the amount received really should have been a huge hint there was an error.

And my pay actually does double from time to time from what a regular weeks pay is. In fact I happen to have a couple paychecks right in front of me where the gross is just about double from one to the other (196% to be accurate). The net pay of the larger check is 189% of the lesser check. That is close enough to doubling the net compared to the gross to say it is in round numbers. The difference is not so great as you allude to.
The higher the overall pay, the greater the difference. The lower the overall pay, the lesser the difference. You also don't know that the vacation pay was the same as the OP's pay. Heck the vacation pay could even have been for just a couple of days rather than an entire pay period. In fact, if the OP is like the vast majority, he is paid biweekly and its quite probable that the vacation pay was for only one week rather than two.

Your entire argument is based on the vacation pay being equal to one of his regular pay periods. Its far more likely that it wasn't, than it was.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl

No. You don't.

justalayman

i guess you missed it when I wrote this ldij.

Seriously, your arguments are juvenile ldij.

Can you support that your claim of biweekly pay is how the vast majority of people are paid?

You are making as many assumptions as I am so you have no right to chastise me for my statements.

commentator

If your paycheck suddenly turned out to be half what you expected it to be, would you expect the company to make it right as soon as possible? Would you think they had the right to keep the money?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your entire argument is based on the vacation pay being equal to one of his regular pay periods. Its far more likely that it wasn't, than it was.

I do not agree that it is FAR more likely. I think it is possible that it was. I think it is possible that it wasn't. But we have nothing like enough evidence to say, and enough people take a full pay period of vacation so that I think either possibility is equally possible.

justalayman

Let’s make this as simple as cbg has. From Ohio.gov

Can my employer take extra money from my check to pay back an accidental overpayment?

Employers are only permitted to make deductions from an employee's pay as long as it does not take them below minimum wage for the hours worked for the week.
Apparently Ohio has no law requiring an employee consent to such deductions

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">