• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I file a motion to vacate the injunction as void?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deigo56

What is the name of your state? Florida

Florida civil court entered a permanent injunction (final judgment) against me during January 2019 in a family issue. I never appealed or filed for rehearing. I saw Fla. R. Civ. P. 1.610(c) which states: “Every injunction … shall describe in reasonable detail the act or acts restrained without reference to a pleading or another document.” However, the Injunction is very unclear, and several restrained activities in it are not explained in reasonable detail. What is the proper procedure to vacate the injunction as void? Can a file a motion?

I read “If it is determined that the judgment entered is void, the trial court has no discretion, but is obligated to vacate the judgment.” Dep of Transp. v. Bailey, 603 So. 2d 1384, 1386-87 (Fla. 1st DCA 1992) I also read:
although a motion to set aside a judgment must be filed “within a reasonable time,” see Fla. R. Civ. P. 1.540(b) (2017), because the mere passage of time cannot make a void judgment valid, a motion to vacate a judgment as void may “reasonably” be filed many years after the judgment was entered. See M.L. Builders, Inc. v. Reserve Developers, LLP, 769 So. 2d 1079, 1082 (Fla. 4th DCA 2000)

I cannot afford an attorney.

You may be better writing to the clerk of the court asking for clarification rather than trying to have the injunction voided.

quincy

You may be better writing to the clerk of the court asking for clarification rather than trying to have the injunction voided.
The clerk of a court cannot offer a clarification of a court injunction. That is the practice of law.

Diego, why did you not ask for clarification in January? You are confused months later on what you can and cannot do? Did you have an attorney for the January hearing?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Florida

Florida civil court entered a permanent injunction (final judgment) against me during January 2019 in a family issue. I never appealed or filed for rehearing. I saw Fla. R. Civ. P. 1.610(c) which states: “Every injunction … shall describe in reasonable detail the act or acts restrained without reference to a pleading or another document.” However, the Injunction is very unclear, and several restrained activities in it are not explained in reasonable detail. What is the proper procedure to vacate the injunction as void? Can a file a motion?

I read “If it is determined that the judgment entered is void, the trial court has no discretion, but is obligated to vacate the judgment.” Dep of Transp. v. Bailey, 603 So. 2d 1384, 1386-87 (Fla. 1st DCA 1992) I also read:
although a motion to set aside a judgment must be filed “within a reasonable time,” see Fla. R. Civ. P. 1.540(b) (2017), because the mere passage of time cannot make a void judgment valid, a motion to vacate a judgment as void may “reasonably” be filed many years after the judgment was entered. See M.L. Builders, Inc. v. Reserve Developers, LLP, 769 So. 2d 1079, 1082 (Fla. 4th DCA 2000)

I cannot afford an attorney.
I doubt that the injunction is all that "unclear". Stop playing games.

The clerk of a court cannot offer a clarification of a court injunction. That is the practice of law.
I understand that first hand. My meaning was to send a letter to the clerk rather than directly to the judge. The clerk will be the one to forward it to the judge or the judges secretary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">