• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I file an insolvency petition in PA without a lawyer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PennEstate1

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
Can I file an insolvency petition on my own in court? I have attorneys but they have lagged on filing and as I am the executor and personal rep-is there a reason I cannot file this on my own?
The firm I retained wants more money and there is nothing left to pay them after paying outstanding debts....

Stephen1

Not a lawyer but here is a thought - at least in my state, there is a precedence for the order in which estate costs get paid. You're saying that after paying the other debts then there is not enough left over to pay a lawyer to file the insolvency for the estate. If you haven't actually paid out everything the estate has you might check to see whether lawyer costs are paid ahead of the other bills you are concerned about.

PennEstate1

Thanks Stephen. In PA the lawyer and administrator fees are first to be paid. As of earlier this year the firm was paid for services rendered. This was a last step to file insolvency as there is no money left. But they won't proceed (after months of delays and very little work being done) unless a pay the current bill. Thanks for your advice!

Dandy Don

Are you filing the insolvency petition in regards to your personal bankruptcy?

Do a search on any search engine, using the phrase " filing an insolvency petition in Pennsylvania" and the search results will show some helpful resources to guide you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">