• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I file Personal Bankruptcy on Biz Debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sirtoff

What is the name of your state? MA

Hi all, I'm new here and wondering if any of you can help me. I owe about 30,000 in credit card debt (about 20,000 of wich was for biz expenses over the past 3 years, my girlfriend and I run a small home based business on the side). My question is can I file for personal chapter 7 bankruptcy even though most of the charges on the card were business related ie. shipping, raw materials, etc.?

Any help would be gretly appreciated!

Thanks,
Sirtoff

bigun

Yes, you can file. See a lawyer about timing. In general, you ought not to have charged anything for 60 days prior to filing and many lawyers like to see a 6-12 months between filing and, cash advances. A bk lawyer in your area will have a feel for how the trustees in your district handle charges and cash advances prior to filing.

S

sirtoff

Thanks,
Can I continue to run my business even though I am filing for personal bankruptcy.

Also can you have a checking account after bankruptcy?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">