• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I file to adopt my grandson while he is in foster care?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

State is Georgia. My grandson has been in foster care since December 2018. He has been in my care all of his life before then. He was taken away while I left him with his mother for the holiday. He got sick and she gave him adult medicine and called the paramedics and they arrested her. Now I have been trying to get him back from the state and they are have made me take drug tests and psych tests - my daughter too - and her charges have been dropped. I get supervised visits with him and he misses me dearly.

Now I want to try to fully adopt him. The court and DFAC have been taking a while to put him back in my custody even though I agreed months ago. I think they are stalling and I'm not sure why. I want to show the judge that I am ready to adopt him and take him out of the system but I am unsure of how to do that. Can I file to adopt him now or do I have to wait for them to put him in my custody. Thanks so much

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm not going to touch this, nor will any of the other advisers be likely to. You NEED an attorney. Straight-forward adoptions aren't do-it-yourself matters, and your situation is anything but straight-forward.

I'm not going to touch this, nor will any of the other advisers be likely to. You NEED an attorney. Straight-forward adoptions aren't do-it-yourself matters, and your situation is anything but straight-forward.
Thanks so much. I'm actually waiting for an attorney to call me back with a consultation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">