• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i file with personal health ins?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Florida

I filed a fed work comp case a year and a half ago. I have been under the care of a doc. I am getting the run around by workers compensation. I am regretting filing it at all. My question is this, Can i use my personal insurance to cover an injury that was determined work comp? If not what if my case is closed? Is there a time span that would eventually let me use my insurance for the injury? I guess i should tell you that my injury is my back. thanks in advance


Senior Member
Until/unless you get a denial of your claim from the worker's comp carrier, it is extremely unlikely you can file the claim with your personal health insurance. No insurance company will pay when another carrier has primary liability for the claim. It's also likely the document which details what's covered in your personal coverage expressly excludes work related injuries/illnesses.


Pam, you will need to refer to your policy or benefit plan description, but I expect that claims for conditions arising out of your employment ,Worker's Comp claims, are excluded.


That is what i suspected. Just thought i would ask to make sure. I am covered by work comp at this time, i am just fed up with all the hassles.Thanks so much for your fast response and for the services you offer. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential