• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can i get a copy of my dad's will ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pearl72

What is the name of your state? Colorado

My father passed away nearly 3 years ago, and from what I understand, his estate has been in probate for this whole time...I would have thought this would have been settled by now. I have asked my mother to see a copy of my father's will, but she has refused. She tells me it is too complicated and that I would not understand it. I would like to make that judgement for myself...I think i can go down to the county in where the probate is filed, or happening...how does one request a copy of a will of a deceased family member? What do i need to do ?

BelizeBreeze

Pearl72 said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado

My father passed away nearly 3 years ago, and from what I understand, his estate has been in probate for this whole time...I would have thought this would have been settled by now. I have asked my mother to see a copy of my father's will, but she has refused. She tells me it is too complicated and that I would not understand it. I would like to make that judgement for myself...I think i can go down to the county in where the probate is filed, or happening...how does one request a copy of a will of a deceased family member? What do i need to do ?
You are correct. Simply go to the county courthouse and ask to see the probate clerk. Give the clerk your father's name and the date of death and possibly the address where your father lived at the time of his death and IF probate has been opened, the will is a part of the probate file and can be given to you (copied) for a fee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">