• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get a refund if car specifications are wrong?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PayrollHRGuy

You can demand whatever you want. I doubt you will get a full refund even in court and I know you won't with just a demand.

justalayman

Or the mechanic is clueless. The 2013 Versa 1.6 SV, SL & S Plus all had CVT.

Nissan had problems with several CVTs between 2012 and later so you may well be better off.
They also offered models (notice the op has not provided which model it is) of the Versa with a regular automatic and even manual transmissions.

I've signed the documents to buy a specific model. What I actually got is different from the description on the bill of sale. Isn't that reason enough to claim that I didn't get what I paid for? Isn't there a consumer protection act or something that entitles a full refund in cases like that?

PayrollHRGuy

The first thing you need to do is confirm that your car doesn't have a CVT. The best way to do this is to have a DIFFERENT Nissan dealer look at the actual transmission. If it doesn't have one get them to check the VIN to see if it was supposed to have CVT.

The first thing you need to do is confirm that your car doesn't have a CVT. The best way to do this is to have a DIFFERENT Nissan dealer look at the actual transmission. If it doesn't have one get them to check the VIN to see if it was supposed to have CVT.
Let's suppose I did that and they confirmed that I don't have a CVT and I was supposed to have it based on VIN check. In this case would I have legal grounds to demand a refund?

At this point I'm just trying to understand if the refund way could work at all.

justalayman

im going to suggest you figure out if a cvt makes the car worth more or less than what you have.

Then, was the fact it had a cvt a deciding factor in your decision to buy? In other words, if it didn’t have a cvt and you otherwise liked the car, would you have bought it?

im going to suggest you figure out if a cvt makes the car worth more or less than what you have.

Then, was the fact it had a cvt a deciding factor in your decision to buy? In other words, if it didn’t have a cvt and you otherwise liked the car, would you have bought it?
From what I know CVTs are more expensive than conventional gear transmissions. And yes, I was specifically looking for a car with a CVT transmission.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
From what I know CVTs are more expensive than conventional gear transmissions. And yes, I was specifically looking for a car with a CVT transmission.
What justalayman is saying is that that year (among others) of the Nissan Versa had problems with the CVT. Your car may be worth more without one.
The SV model came with CVT standard. If the VIN shows it has a CVT, then the dealer was likely basing his representation on that. If the transmission was changed at some point (even if by the dealer pre or post-delivery), then the VIN might not show it I don't see that you have any recourse against the dealer.

As was suggested above, you need to take your car somewhere else where they can confirm what the transmission actually is.

FlyingRon

It doesn't take a genius to tell. The CVT version of the Nissan transmission has an extra lobe on the back that the regular transmission doesn't have. It's hard to see looking under the hood, but should be hard if it's on a lift.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It doesn't take a genius to tell. The CVT version of the Nissan transmission has an extra lobe on the back that the regular transmission doesn't have. It's hard to see looking under the hood, but should be hard if it's on a lift.
...should not be hard if it's on a lift ;)

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Let's suppose I did that and they confirmed that I don't have a CVT and I was supposed to have it based on VIN check. In this case would I have legal grounds to demand a refund?
You always can ask for (demand) a refund. But absent actual fraud all you are entitled to get if you sued is the difference between what your car is worth and what the same car with a CVT transmission is worth.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">