• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get a restraint order against my roommate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Washington
I want to know if I can get a restraining order against my roommate (who is also my sister) if she is also on the lease?

CdwJava

What is the name of your state? Washington
I want to know if I can get a restraining order against my roommate (who is also my sister) if she is also on the lease?
Maybe.

What did she do that you believe might give you good cause to seek a restraining order of some kind against her?

xylene

There is nothing specifically about lease status that precludes a restraining order.

Please explain your situation more.

Well let me give you just a few things that she has done. She has come into my husbands and my room and stolen money and cigarettes. We have her on video from the security camera we installed because we thought she was doing these things.
When confronted she flew into a rage and threatened both of us with physical harm. She has threatened to “do something” to our two little dogs and our cat. She has deliberately left the gate to the dog/cat enclosure open and our dogs got out, fortunately my husband was outside and stopped the dogs from going out into the street.
She picks fights with my husband trying to get him to put hands on her. That’s just a few things...
I can’t stand her anymore, she is mentally unstable.
So, can I get an RO against her or am I stuck til the lease is up?

quincy

Well let me give you just a few things that she has done. She has come into my husbands and my room and stolen money and cigarettes. We have her on video from the security camera we installed because we thought she was doing these things.
When confronted she flew into a rage and threatened both of us with physical harm. She has threatened to “do something” to our two little dogs and our cat. She has deliberately left the gate to the dog/cat enclosure open and our dogs got out, fortunately my husband was outside and stopped the dogs from going out into the street.
She picks fights with my husband trying to get him to put hands on her. That’s just a few things...
I can’t stand her anymore, she is mentally unstable.
So, can I get an RO against her or am I stuck til the lease is up?
Have any of her words or actions led you to calling the police?

quincy

Not yet... I really don’t want to if I don’t have to.
If you are not concerned enough for your safety (or the safety of others) to report threats of physical harm to the police, and you do not want to report your sister's theft to the police, you are unlikely to get a court to issue a restraining order.

When does the lease expire?

At the end of October. I know that’s not very far away, it’s just gotten so bad that I don’t even like to be home anymore. I just want her gone...

quincy

At the end of October. I know that’s not very far away, it’s just gotten so bad that I don’t even like to be home anymore. I just want her gone...
Any time you fear for your safety or the safety of others (including your pets), don't hesitate to call the police.

If you want to protect your valuables, lock them away (lockbox) and lock your bedroom door.

If she needs money, you might be able to encourage her to leave the rental early by paying her to leave. You should have any agreement of this sort written down and dated and signed. If she leaves, you will be responsible for paying her share of the rent until the lease expires. If she leaves, ask the landlord to change the locks (this will probably be at your expense).

Good luck.

You have video of her committing a crime and don't want to report this crime, yet you want to go to the trouble of getting a protection order. That simply makes no sense whatsoever.
I know it doesn’t make sense if you aren’t the one going through all this, and it would be hard to explain it so that a person could understand. This is why I asked here in this forum and save myself some time and money if it wasn’t going to make sense to someone other than the people that are dealing with her crap daily.

CdwJava

I know it doesn’t make sense if you aren’t the one going through all this, and it would be hard to explain it so that a person could understand. This is why I asked here in this forum and save myself some time and money if it wasn’t going to make sense to someone other than the people that are dealing with her crap daily.
The problem is that without reports to the police, it will be far more difficult to obtain any sort of meaningful order. There is an old adage, If it's not on paper, it didn't happen. And while a police report doesn't PROVE the issue, it at least provides a paper trail of a history of conflict or issues.

quincy

In addition to what CdwJava said, police reports indicate the seriousness with which you are taking the threats.

If you are not afraid that your sister might act on her threats, the court is likely to consider the threats idle talk not worth the issuance of a restraining order.

I suggest you either file a police report and look at getting a restraining order to protect yourself from a sister who has put you in fear of physical safety, or take the suggestions offered previously to protect yourself and your property until the lease expires.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">