• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get arrested for loitering in my own home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackier90

I live in Michigan.

I live with my parents. A couple days ago, our house got raided. They found an ounce of weed. That's it. They keep insisting that my dad sells weed and pills. Needless to say, he doesn't. All they can get him with is possession. They arrested me and charged me with Loitering at a Drug House. Can they do that? How can I loiter at my own house? They said I shouldn't have been there but I asked them what I'm supposed to do. I'm only 18. Im in college and working and right now I can't afford to live on my own. Weed really isn't a big deal anyways. I just think it's crap cuz I didn't even do anything wrong. I can't help that my dad smokes weed.

The Occultist

If you are 18, you have the legal authority to decide to move out of a house that breeds illegal activities.

Whether or not you can get out of these charges will depend on how your state defines a "drug house", and how one can prove that your dad's house doesn't fit that criteria.

You and your dad should both seek the representation of an attorney.

jackier90

The specific crime they are charging me with is Loitering at a Drug House. I looked up the legal definition of loitering and it said to be somewhere where you have no purpose or reason to be. I have a reason to be at my house. It is where I reside.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The specific crime they are charging me with is Loitering at a Drug House. I looked up the legal definition of loitering and it said to be somewhere where you have no purpose or reason to be. I have a reason to be at my house. It is where I reside.
What exaction section of the law were you charged with violating. It will usually be letters, numbers, or a combination there-of (with various punctuation marks, etc. thrown in for good measure)

GoodPerson82

This kind of language is against the TOS of this forum...
oh come on.. we are all adults. I do think it's pretty lame to charge this
poor kid for his dad's "supposed" crimes. I mean, it's not really his fault.
you expect him to just be on the street? Besides. who says he was even
aware of the drugs in the house in the first place! It's a Stupid law.. your
offended by profanity? but these laws themselves are not offensive? ---

Saying "****" is not against the law.. (yet.)

in fact it feels pretty good to say it.. don't you Agree?

I know r*ping the constitution is all the rage these days.. but i don't think
the first amendment was so misguided to our founders' credits.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">