• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get diversity visa while I am subject to the 2 year rule?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bsuzunoglu

I had a J1 visa with 2 years-rule and it expired in June 30th, 2019. So in the normal circumstances I will not be subject to the 2 years-rule after June 30th, 2021. If I or my parents would win the diversity lottery for 2021, am I going to be able to get the diversity visa? I will not enter the USA before August 2021 but I guess they will make me go to the interview around May 2020. So do you think my 2 years-rule would make problem or can I explain this and get the visa? I got funded by US Department of State, so I think I cannot apply for 2 years-rule waiver. I already researched about it but most websites says if the visa holder funded by the US Goverment, its almost impossible to get a waiver unless you have asylum or hardship circumstances.

Just Blue

I had a J1 visa with 2 years-rule and it expired in June 30th, 2019. So in the normal circumstances I will not be subject to the 2 years-rule after June 30th, 2021. If I or my parents would win the diversity lottery for 2021, am I going to be able to get the diversity visa? I will not enter the USA before August 2021 but I guess they will make me go to the interview around May 2020. So do you think my 2 years-rule would make problem or can I explain this and get the visa? I got funded by US Department of State, so I think I cannot apply for 2 years-rule waiver. I already researched about it but most websites says if the visa holder funded by the US Goverment, its almost impossible to get a waiver unless you have asylum or hardship circumstances.
You had another thread on this forum that you deleted. Why?

FlyingRon

And to be repetitive, you may not apply for a change of status (DV or otherwise) while subject to the HRR, unless you are granted a waiver.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">