• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get out of private school contract - FLORIDA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JICQuestion

Hi,

My son is registered in a private school under a McKay scholarship. He is autistic
I signed the contract for the school year tuition of $14,000, I think this was a mistake.

I am not comfortable sending him to school for face to face education, but Zoom classes are not working well and I want to homeschool him this school year.
The school has not done anything particularly wrong, but I want to pull him. Anything I can do about the contract? Thank you

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hi,

My son is registered in a private school under a McKay scholarship. He is autistic
I signed the contract for the school year tuition of $14,000, I think this was a mistake.

I am not comfortable sending him to school for face to face education, but Zoom classes are not working well and I want to homeschool him this school year.
The school has not done anything particularly wrong, but I want to pull him. Anything I can do about the contract? Thank you
In the US, the answer to your question lies within the contract itself. Read it. If you still don't understand your options then speak to a local attorney about the matter. Contract review is beyond the scope of this (or any) internet forum.

Just Blue

Hi,

It depends what the contract, which we can't see from here, says on the matter.

quincy

Hi,

When do/did in-person classes start? The first McKay payment appears to have been due on September 1.

Generally when you sign a contract for classes, you are reserving a space in that class that would otherwise go to another student. You, therefore, generally are obligated to make all payments regardless of a decision to quit the class.

However, the specifics of the McKay scholarship and your contract with the school will need to be personally reviewed.

zddoodah

Anything I can do about the contract?
Nothing in your post suggests any reason why you should be allowed out of the contract. Of course, a review of the contract might reveal a reason (as might the laws of your unidentified state), but the better approach is probably to discuss the issues you're having with school officials/teachers to see if a solution can be found.

quincy

The major drawback to withdrawing your child appears to be the loss of the scholarship.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">