• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i get reimbursed for attorney fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state?ohio

My child's father took me to court a year and a half ago because he wanted visitation and shared parenting. I had to hire a high price attorney for this case. Long story short, we have been battling in court up until yesterday. In the past 4 months he willingly submitted to a drug test in court and failed with flying colors and got visitation taken away from him, requested a psychological evaluation on me and then violated the court order by not paying for it, and yesterday he didn't even show up for the trial. The judge dismissed everything leaving me with sole custody of my daughter and no rights for him (thank god), and an extremely high attorney bill. Can I go after him for all my attorney fees since he was the one who started this and ultimately ended it by not showing up? If it were not for him I would never have needed to obtain an attorney. Any advice would be helpful.

PickleZ

I have the same question....

My ex is under employed therefore is able to get a pro bono attorney. I have a job and must pay for an attorney. Going to court costs my ex little in lost time from work or attorneys fees. I basically support the kids myself AND pay legal fees. I would like to know if I could recover some legal expenses from my ex.

LdiJ

nojusticeinohio said:
What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state?ohio

My child's father took me to court a year and a half ago because he wanted visitation and shared parenting. I had to hire a high price attorney for this case. Long story short, we have been battling in court up until yesterday. In the past 4 months he willingly submitted to a drug test in court and failed with flying colors and got visitation taken away from him, requested a psychological evaluation on me and then violated the court order by not paying for it, and yesterday he didn't even show up for the trial. The judge dismissed everything leaving me with sole custody of my daughter and no rights for him (thank god), and an extremely high attorney bill. Can I go after him for all my attorney fees since he was the one who started this and ultimately ended it by not showing up? If it were not for him I would never have needed to obtain an attorney. Any advice would be helpful.
That is something that you really should have asked the judge to order while you were in court.....or rather your attorney should have asked. You need to ask your attorney if anything is possible at this point.

xKellyx

This is something my lawyer is going for as well, for the fact that my ex started it (it had it really good to, bet he is regretting that now) and the first time we went to court, he was prepare whatsoever. I'm hoping I can get some of it back. It all depends on the judge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">