• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get sued for causing a dangerous meetup?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Alabama.

If I start a Discord server to help local people get in touch with each other to work on personal projects, am i in any legal danger if this leads to a dangerous meetup?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member

If I start a Discord server to help local people get in touch with each other to work on personal projects, am i in any legal danger if this leads to a dangerous meetup?
Simply setting up a discord server allowing people with a similar interest to meet won't get you into trouble if two them meet up in person later and something bad happens as a result. But of course the details of your involvement in the matter and what you knew of the people participating on the server would be important.

quincy

If your Discord server is used for nefarious purposes in violation of Discord's terms of service, your server can be disabled and you can be banned from future uses.

Depending on the reasons behind the "meet ups" and your involvement with them, you potentially could find yourself in legal trouble. The Communications Decency Act's section 230 can provide you with some immunity but only stretches so far. You potentially could be sued and/or arrested, in other words.

Consult with an attorney in your area for direction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">