• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i get the careless driving dismissed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? colorado

I had just bought a go kart and was trying to get it running and starting the proses to get it ready to be registered .So after working on it i took it for a test drive on the street in font of my house. I had on safety classes a large neon
green flag a long sleeve neon green shirt .I dove with the awareness of all the possible dangers that could happen i was driving at a low safe speed while still being alert to all the possible dangers and traffic. A i was starting to turn around ant go back home i turned the steering wheel and it some how came off. It wasn't loose at ant time while driving so after the steering wheel cam off at that point the go kart pulled to the right towards the curb and i went under the back of a parked car as the go kart is very low to the ground I had broke my leg and just the tail light of the car. There was no witnesses and after crawling up to the house of the car i hit they called the fire department for my injuries. After 15 minutes the fire department showed up and the police 5 minutes after that and gave me a ticket for driving a off highway vehicle and careless driving. i was driving in a very safe manor and awareness while on my test drive. My question is is there any thing i can do about the careless driving part even though i was in the safest manor possible.

Last edited:

justalayman

To start with, you weren’t driving in a safe manner because you were driving a vehicle that cannot be legally driven on public roadways on public roadways. Driving a kart on a public roadway is in itself unsafe and careless. The fact you crashed reinforces the charge.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
What is the name of your state? colorado

I had just bought a go kart and was trying to get it running .So after working on it i took it for a test drive on the street in font of my house. I had on safety classes a large neon
green flag a long sleeve neon green shirt .I dove with the awareness of all the possible dangers that could happen i was driving at a low safe speed while still being alert to all the possible dangers and traffic. A i was starting to turn around ant go back home i turned the steering wheel and it some how came offit wasn't loose at ant time while driving at that point the go kart pulled to the right towards the curb and i went under the back of a parked car as the go kart is very low to the ground I had broke my leg and just the tail light there was no witnesses and after crawling up to the house of the car i hit they called the fire department for my injuries. After 15 minutes the fire department showed up and the police 5 minutes after that and gave me a ticket for driving a off highway vehicle and careless driving. i was driving in a very safe manor and awareness while on my test drive. My question is is there any thing i can do about the careless driving part even though i was in the safest manor possible.
No. You cannot get the "careless driving" portion dismissed. The "safest manor [sic] possible" still resulted in property damage to another party and injury to yourself. Therefore, you were not driving safely.

No. You cannot get the "careless driving" portion dismissed. The "safest manor [sic] possible" still resulted in property damage to another party and injury to yourself. Therefore, you were not driving safely.
So say you are walking down a set of stairs somewhere and you are taking your time as to be careful not to trip or fall and out of know where the next step you step on your foot goes right through the step and you break your ankle.Its to bad you didnt know about that faulty step i guess you must of been being careful going down the stairs

ShyCat

So say you are walking down a set of stairs somewhere and you are taking your time as to be careful not to trip or fall and out of know where the next step you step on your foot goes right through the step and you break your ankle.Its to bad you didnt know about that faulty step i guess you must of been being careful going down the stairs
Your analogy doesn't apply. A defect in the stairs which was being used as designed is not the same thing as a defect in your kart being driven where it was not allowed to be driven. You would not have been charged with careless driving if you had crashed where karts are allowed. It was careless to be driving on the street, so the actual cause of the crash does not provide any defense.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
But the defect WASN'T in the road - the defect was in your cart. It is careless to drive in a non-road worthy vehicle.

And, by the way, if you were driving an actual car, you would still face some form of charge - "careless driving" covers a wide range of things. Basically, you weren't reckless, but you were imprudent - you were test driving a vehicle on the road (illegally) that wasn't road worthy (defective equipment).

The police are not the "thought police". They ticket based on the outcome of your actions, not the thoughts going through your head while you are bumbling along. However, sometimes they cut a person a break if the person seems credibly contrite. You are not getting a break because of your punk attitude. Perhaps you have a neurological condition that prevents you from realizing that your behavior is annoying.

Get a lawyer to talk on your behalf. You are only capable of making your bad situation worse.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You did a bunch of work on it. I would argue that you either caused the problem in the first place, or that you had ample opportunity to discover it and repair it.

So you said the defect was in my cart. It is reckless to drive in a non-road worthy vehicle. So if im test driving the kart-and every thing is working properly on the cart is road worthy up until the moment the wheel came off how does the wheel coming off all of a sudden make me careless

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So you said the defect was in my cart. It is reckless to drive in a non-road worthy vehicle. So if im test driving the kart-and every thing is working properly on the cart is road worthy up until the moment the wheel came off how does the wheel coming off all of a sudden make me careless
Not reckless - careless. You were careless in the operation of the cart - both because of the improper functioning and because of the fact that it's not supposed to be on the road in the first place.

PayrollHRGuy

You didn't take the required "care" to make sure the wheel wouldn't come off. Plus you were driving a vehicle that was not street legal. You couldn't be much more careless without wearing a blindfold while driving.

justalayman

It can’t be roadworthy. It does not meet the requirements under law to be a roadworthy vehicle and there is nothing you could do to make it meet the requirements to be roadworthy.

Last edited:

elenajames

You must take care of the rules first. Kart driving is not advisory in the public place. Road was not faulty in your case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">