• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can i have a notarized guardianship paper overridden?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dskyes12

Missouri

I typed a letter at the library stating I gave guardianship of my 4 year old to my friend to be able to enroll him in preschool and get him to dr appointments. I want my child back but she's refusing because my childs therapist is trying to make her only give me supervised visitation. If I file for guardianship to someone else through a lawyer, will it override the notarized letter I typed up and signed? It was not done through the courts. I feel my friend is lying to my sons therapist, or not telling me the truth.

PayrollHRGuy

The notarization really has nothing to do with it. All that proves is that you signed it and nobody is disputing that.

It is the actual wording of the document that matters. I doubt that any document you typed up yourself that wasn't approved by a judge is going to give your child away in perpetuity.

Just Blue

Missouri

I typed a letter at the library stating I gave guardianship of my 4 year old to my friend to be able to enroll him in preschool and get him to dr appointments. I want my child back but she's refusing because my childs therapist is trying to make her only give me supervised visitation. If I file for guardianship to someone else through a lawyer, will it override the notarized letter I typed up and signed? It was not done through the courts. I feel my friend is lying to my sons therapist, or not telling me the truth.
What other reason did your friend have custody of your child? Generally people don't randomly give guardianship to a non-parent for school and Dr. appointments...As parents we deal with those things ourselves.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I agree with PayrollHRGuy.

May I ask *why* you sent your child to live with your friend instead of staying with you?

Zigner

What other reason did your friend have custody of your child? Generally people don't randomly give guardianship to a non-parent for school and Dr. appointments...As parents we deal with those things ourselves.

Yeah...that.
A power-of-attorney would have been sufficient.

Dskyes12

I work ALOT. And my hours are in the times of normal running hours. I dont need judgement, considering I am also a single mom just trying to keep the Bills paid. I provide everything for him. But my friend also is super attached to my son and some shady stuff has been going on since hes been over there now all of a sudden out of the blue I'm being suspicioned of child abuse? Which is not the case when he is with me, he has only been acting out when he is at my house, and we wanted to figure out why

Dskyes12

But really doesn't matter as to "why" I did it, I'd just like to know if I can override the typed letter with a lawyer giving guardianship to someone I know I can actually trust and not someone I "thought" I would be able to trust.

Zigner

As I said, if your ONLY intention was to allow your friend to register the child for school and to take the child to doctor's appointments, a power of attorney would have been more than sufficient. WHY does the child reside with your friend?

Zigner

But really doesn't matter as to "why" I did it, I'd just like to know if I can override the typed letter with a lawyer giving guardianship to someone I know I can actually trust and not someone I "thought" I would be able to trust.
It actually DOES matter. For us to give you an answer in a vacuum would be irresponsible. If you wish to not explain the situation fully, then you would be better served by discussing this with an attorney. Good luck.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Well, it does sort of matter why, especially when you're looking to revoke the "guardianship" from one person and give it to someone else. Not a judgment, but it's something that could come back to bite you in the long run.

Perhaps we're not really understanding the situation? When *I* think of guardianship, I think of allowing someone to take the child in and raise him/her, caring for them in lieu of a parent, not just a caregiver. So - does your son live with this person? How much time are you able to spend with him? Why is he needing therapy? Where is his father?

Lots of us here have raised children on our own, and your solution is somewhat unusual. We need to understand so as to help you as best we can. But we can only go by what you tell us.

PayrollHRGuy

You mention suspicion of child abuse. Are you saying the friend you gave your child to notified the authorities and they have acted on that notification?

Dskyes12

I apologize as I'm at work and cant really explain stuff very well or all at once. But my son originally was staying home with my husband, who is a stay at home dad. Who wouldn't even hurt a fly, let alone a child. (Of course I'm sure this is something you hear all the time, but really, he wouldn't, he wont even discipline our children really, hes a softy) but things have changed and I want him to go find a job, and find someone to help him get his license (he never got it, and I'm always at work) i spend everyday with my son, but when I'm not home he started recently acting crazy, breaking our desktop PC, broke his window, getting super violent so we asked my friend to hang onto him for a while so i too, can go to therapy and do what i need to do because I'm fighting anxiety and depression, while my husband stays non distracted about finding a job. He is perfectly fine when im home, and always wants my attention and love and usually behaves, but when I am not, he acts crazy. Hes 4. So friend took him to therapy and now they're supposedly accusing us of abuse. Forgot to mention my husband is NOT my sons real father and my family wants nothing to do with my son and I. I am at my friends every day after work and my son has only been with her for 3 weeks.

Dskyes12

You mention suspicion of child abuse. Are you saying the friend you gave your child to notified the authorities and they have acted on that notification?
No, I'm saying that I shouldnt be being told that a therapist said I should only have supervised visitation after only 1 play therapy session. Its shady

PayrollHRGuy

Who is the therapist saying that to? Have YOU talked to the therapist?

If Child Protective Services has not yet taken any action contact everyone, in writing, that may have been given a copy of whatever you wrote that you are revoking it as of this date.

Dskyes12

Who is the therapist saying that to? Have YOU talked to the therapist?

If Child Protective Services has not yet taken any action contact everyone, in writing, that may have been given a copy of whatever you wrote that you are revoking it as of this date.
The therapist is saying this to my friend. His apt was on Wednesday and she supposedly got told this yesterday via phone call

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">