• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I hold the Tow company Liable for damages and stolen car parts?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Washington Hi my question is on behalf of my daughter who was in her Honda CRV and was rear ended by a “Insured” motorist I believe the beginning of last year. (I could be wrong on the date) Anyway, after the initial accident she pulled over to the side of the road exchanged information with the other driver and took pictures of both vehicles. After that, I believe the car was then towed to a yard awaiting further instructions from my daughter. She was advised to consider the car total loss and basically go on from there. She then spoke with the other insurance company and was told she had time to make up her mind on her decision due to the fact she had to speak with her husband and figure out finances because she was recently made aware in order to transfer the title into her name was going to cost her around $600, which was way out of their budget. Very soon after my father (her grandfather) passed away and my daughter traveled to Arizona to assist my mother. While she was there the tow company continue to harass her on the phone telling them they need a decision immediately so she was forced to pay to have it towed back to her house until she was able to come home to sort things out. Well to her surprise, when she got home she noticed quite a few things different on the vehicle. First of all the battery which was brand new mind you, was stolen. both Front door panels were ripped off, she had at least $50 to $60 in change that was missing out of the car, and all four tires which were brand new were missing and replaced with three tires that were worn down to almost undrivable, and one was completely blown out! So to make a long story short, the car was nowhere near the condition it was when it was taken to the yard. She of course called them to discuss it and they gave her the runaround claimed they had no knowledge of anything and said it was not their responsibility. My daughter is very emotional about it and asked if I would try to handle it so here I am and I’d like to know where to go and what my legal rights are? Somebody please help me!

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Washington Hi my question is on behalf of my daughter who was in her Honda CRV and was rear ended by a “Insured” motorist I believe the beginning of last year. (I could be wrong on the date) Anyway, after the initial accident she pulled over to the side of the road exchanged information with the other driver and took pictures of both vehicles. After that, I believe the car was then towed to a yard awaiting further instructions from my daughter. She was advised to consider the car total loss and basically go on from there. She then spoke with the other insurance company and was told she had time to make up her mind on her decision due to the fact she had to speak with her husband and figure out finances because she was recently made aware in order to transfer the title into her name was going to cost her around $600, which was way out of their budget. Very soon after my father (her grandfather) passed away and my daughter traveled to Arizona to assist my mother. While she was there the tow company continue to harass her on the phone telling them they need a decision immediately so she was forced to pay to have it towed back to her house until she was able to come home to sort things out. Well to her surprise, when she got home she noticed quite a few things different on the vehicle. First of all the battery which was brand new mind you, was stolen. both Front door panels were ripped off, she had at least $50 to $60 in change that was missing out of the car, and all four tires which were brand new were missing and replaced with three tires that were worn down to almost undrivable, and one was completely blown out! So to make a long story short, the car was nowhere near the condition it was when it was taken to the yard. She of course called them to discuss it and they gave her the runaround claimed they had no knowledge of anything and said it was not their responsibility. My daughter is very emotional about it and asked if I would try to handle it so here I am and I’d like to know where to go and what my legal rights are? Somebody please help me!
You have no "legal rights". Your daughter needs to put on her big girl pants and call her insurance company.

I will say this....Because of the lackadaisical manner she handled this situation she has no way of proving that the tow company mishandled her car.

This is what my Mom would call "A little bump in life's road". You daughter needs to stop overreacting to, in the scheme of life, fairly minor upsets. The time to get "very emotional" is when your loved one is Dx'ed with a serious illness.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Do you really mean that your daughter ignored this matter for somewhere in the range of 19-22 months?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">