• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I ignore a state university that is trying to fine me if they do not have my SSN or address?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Natustell

I considered attending a state university (Oregon) and then never followed through. I had made an email in their system and got no further. They later contacted me via this email and said that I owed them $5,700 for a room and board that I never reserved. They only have this email and my name and they do not have my address or SSN.

This reeks of bureaucratic error by some lazy student volunteer in the office. A scam seems unlikely due to the size and prestige of the university. I am appealing the fine and do not currently intend to give them anymore personal information.

Can I ignore them because they only have my name?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Can I ignore them because they only have my name?
It's a state university. It may be able to track down more information on you in order to collect if it really wants to pursue it. Don't just assume the issue will go away by ignoring it. In my experience if you ignore this kind of thing it can get worse as time goes by and you may risk giving up opportunities to challenge it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">