• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I lock up his things?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GmaSharon

What is the name of your state? Oregon

I am divorced as of June 1st 2005 :) :)

I was awared the family home, he was awarded the rental home.

He immediately sold the rental home and retained all profit.

At the time the divorce was final, he was still living in the home that I was awarded in the divorce. We were not and have had any sexual contact in some time, but wanted to remain friends. I agreed verbally to allow him to remain in the home until he was able to purchase a new home, and to store items in the shop on the property. There was no written agreement, discussion of payment, nor verbal agreement to exact duration. We did agree however not to see others until he had moved into his own home. He however is seeing someone else at this time and has established a sexual relationship with her, per his own admission.

He moved out of the home as of Sept. 12th, but is continuing to store stuff in the shop. He is refuseing to move items from the shop and stating that he has "tenant" right of storage.

He has made min. contribution to household expenses between June 1st and Sept. 12th.

Can I lock him out of the storage area and take his items?

Do I have to hold them for a specific time?

Please advise.

Sincerely
Sharon

LdiJ

GmaSharon said:
What is the name of your state? Oregon

I am divorced as of June 1st 2005 :) :)

I was awared the family home, he was awarded the rental home.

He immediately sold the rental home and retained all profit.

At the time the divorce was final, he was still living in the home that I was awarded in the divorce. We were not and have had any sexual contact in some time, but wanted to remain friends. I agreed verbally to allow him to remain in the home until he was able to purchase a new home, and to store items in the shop on the property. There was no written agreement, discussion of payment, nor verbal agreement to exact duration. We did agree however not to see others until he had moved into his own home. He however is seeing someone else at this time and has established a sexual relationship with her, per his own admission.

He moved out of the home as of Sept. 12th, but is continuing to store stuff in the shop. He is refuseing to move items from the shop and stating that he has "tenant" right of storage.

He has made min. contribution to household expenses between June 1st and Sept. 12th.

Can I lock him out of the storage area and take his items?

Do I have to hold them for a specific time?

Please advise.

Sincerely
Sharon
You need to give him, in writing (preferibly by certified letter) 30 days to remove his belongings from your property or you will dispose of them.

dallas702

Nah...just leave the door unlocked and go whisper it around a couple of local bars that there's free goodies in the store room.

".....Gee honey, I don't know what happened....".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">