• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i lose my house?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

happyjack

What is the name of your state? sc

do you know the sol for sc? and how long does a judgement last in sc?

if i had a judgement against me and our home is in our husband's name only, could they take our house from me if something were to happen to my husband?

Ladynred

SOL on judgments in SC is 10 years.

If the judgment is against you, and the property is NOT in your name, then they cannot touch the house. Should the house pass into your name during the term of the judgment, they COULD possibly place a lien against it.

Taking a house from someone is not an easy process. It would all depend on your equity, and how much you owe the creditor whether or not they'd go thru the hassle of trying to take your home from you to pay the debt.

H

happyjack

if something were to happen to my husband, the house would be paid off. how easy would it be for them to take it then?

A

anon29072

I'm sorry for intruding on this thread, but your last post sounds a little suspicious by how it's worded. Why would you even ask a question like that unless your husband were terminally ill, or at an elderly age where death could come at any time from natural causes? You might want to clarify it a little better so as to not give people the wrong impression. :)

Now, to answer your question, judgements do remain on file for 10 years in S.C. and are supposedly not renewable. If, by any chance, the house would go into your name during the time the judgement was in effect, you would not be able to sell the house until the judgement either expires, or you satisfied the judgement amount. It's very unlikely that the creditor will be keeping a close eye on whether or not the property goes in your name, or keepings tabs on your equity that is being built up to warrant them to come after you.

H

happyjack

I guess that does sound kind of bad, sorry. it's just that my husband's field of work puts him in danger at times, and with this situation arising we have to look at all possible outcomes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">