• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I maintain STD Insurance after leaving job?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scullyx1

:confused: I'm a Maryland Resident living in the UK working for a US contractor for the US government on a US facility. I am currently employed by a company in Virginia, and am planning to take a US government job overseas in the next month. I am currently 17 weeks pregnant. My question is this: If I accept this new job, I will no longer be entitled to the 12 weeks unpaid leave (Family medical leave act), and US govt employment benefits do not include STD insurance. I want to find out if my current company paid STD insurance is able to be included under the COBRA for health/dental insurance (I would pay a monthly premium to maintain it until I no longer needed it), or if there other financially viable ways to make sure that I still receive an income if I take 3 months off for maternity leave. I won't have enough time to build up sick or vacation time to allow me to take the full three months off with pay... I'm sure this is probably delving into several problem areas, but appreciate your assistance.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In 25 years of administering employer sponsored benefit plans, I have never seen or heard of an STD plan that was convertable or that had a continuation clause. Nothing in COBRA requires an employer to include STD plans in the plans that are available after termination.

A definite answer will depend on the terms of your employer's plans, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on a favorable answer.

justalayman

make sure that I still receive an income if I take 3 months off for maternity leave

Your insurance will allow 3 months off using STD for 3 months postpartum? That seems extremely lenient.

ecmst12

You may be able to get a private disability policy, but make sure you find out what the childbirth benefits will be. They may not consider a normal delivery as requiring 12 weeks of recovery (disability covers when you can't work due to a medical problem, it does not cover baby bonding time, so once you physically are able to work, benefits will stop).

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If she is already pregnant, no, she will not be able to purchase a private disability policy; not if she wants one that will cover the current pregnancy.

The law that prohibits pregnancy from being considered a pre-existing condition does not apply to either STD policies or to privately purchased policies; only to employer sponsored group health insurance.

ecmst12

And I suppose that having prior continuous coverage under another policy wouldn't help with STD policies either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">