• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I make a claim on estate??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



Myself and my ex husband both resided in florida. He recently passed away. He did not pay child support. The child is now 24 yrs old. Do I have the legal right to make a claim against his estate for the unpaid child support that was never paid to me?? Any info would be appreciated,,Thanks



JUNE 7, 2001


Did you have an official court order from a Florida court that awarded you child support? Do you have copies of that award or could you get copies if needed? For what years did the child support award cover?

You do have a legal right to make a claim against his estate for child support, since this is considered an outstanding debt that the estate must pay. If you don't have an attorney of your own to handle this for you, ask the Florida Child Support Office to make the claim for you.

Whether or not your claim will be paid depends on how much of an estate your ex-husband left, whether he left enough monies to pay for this item after other debts (funeral expenses, other bills, and taxes) have been paid.

Good luck!


[email protected]


Thank you very much, I still have my original divorce papers. appreciate the help. My next question is I wonder if there is a statute of limitations involved here.. tahnks again. flkat

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential