• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I move out ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Melvarez

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

I answered an Ad in the newspaper about a house for rent. The ad indicated that the tenant would be asked to sign a 1 year lease. I decided to move in but was never asked to sign a lease. I have been in the house for 6 months and we have had three electrical problems, the air conditioning went out in the summer, The heat has now been out for 4 days, and the roof is leaking. When I reported the problem with the heat, the land lord came over while I ws not there and put a lease contract in my door. It was an old lease that someone else had filled out and he used white out to clear it and fill in the information concerning me. It says the date I moved in but there is nothing in the field concerning how long I have to stay. I also never signed it. At this point, I just want out. Can I legally move out without being responsible for the rent for the rest of the year ?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Melvarez said:

I answered an Ad in the newspaper about a house for rent. The ad indicated that the tenant would be asked to sign a 1 year lease. I decided to move in but was never asked to sign a lease. I have been in the house for 6 months and we have had three electrical problems, the air conditioning went out in the summer, The heat has now been out for 4 days, and the roof is leaking. When I reported the problem with the heat, the land lord came over while I ws not there and put a lease contract in my door. It was an old lease that someone else had filled out and he used white out to clear it and fill in the information concerning me. It says the date I moved in but there is nothing in the field concerning how long I have to stay. I also never signed it. At this point, I just want out. Can I legally move out without being responsible for the rent for the rest of the year ?

My response:

Sure you can!

Just make sure you put the refrigerator and toilet back out in the yard where you found them. You'll also need to re-inflate the tires on the trailer.

IAAL

HomeGuru

Melvarez said:

**A: yes you can, provided you follow the L/T law in terminating a month to month lease ie, written notice served upon L sstating date of lease termination etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">