• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i move out?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elceo

What is the name of your state? texas

i am currently 17, and i have already finished highschool. i was wondering if move out, could my parents do anything about it since i have already graduated highschool and am 17. but if i move out, i would be moving to illinois. would my parents be able to keep me from doing this? thanks in advance.

Happy Trails

elceo said:

i am currently 17, and i have already finished highschool. i was wondering if move out, could my parents do anything about it since i have already graduated highschool and am 17. but if i move out, i would be moving to illinois. would my parents be able to keep me from doing this? thanks in advance.
You are still a minor, unless you get emancipated or become emancipated (by turning 18), you are still your parents responsibility. Your g/f's mother could get into trouble for interfering with parental custody.

Before you ask, emancipation is extremely rare. http://www.bostoncoop.net/lcd/emancipation/texas.html

151.001. Rights and Duties of Parent

(a) A parent of a child has the following rights and duties:
(1) the right to have physical possession, to direct the moral and religious training, and to establish the residence of the child;
(2) the duty of care, control, protection, and reasonable discipline of the child;
(3) the duty to support the child, including providing the child with clothing, food, shelter, medical and dental care, and education;
(4) the duty, except when a guardian of the child's estate has been appointed, to manage the estate of the child, including the right as an agent of the child to act in relation to the child's estate if the child's action is required by a state, the United States, or a foreign government;
(5) except as provided by Section 264.0111, the right to the services and earnings of the child;
(6) the right to consent to the child's marriage, enlistment in the armed forces of the United States, medical and dental care, and psychiatric, psychological, and surgical treatment;
(7) the right to represent the child in legal action and to make other decisions of substantial legal significance concerning the child;
(8) the right to receive and give receipt for payments for the support of the child and to hold or disburse funds for the benefit of the child;
(9) the right to inherit from and through the child;
(10) the right to make decisions concerning the child's education; and
(11) any other right or duty existing between a parent and child by virtue of law.
(b) The duty of a parent to support his or her child exists while the child is an unemancipated minor and continues as long as the child is fully enrolled in an accredited secondary school in a program leading toward a high school diploma until the end of the school year in which the child graduates.
(c) A parent who fails to discharge the duty of support is liable to a person who provides necessaries to those to whom support is owed.
(d) The rights and duties of a parent are subject to:
(1) a court order affecting the rights and duties;
(2) an affidavit of relinquishment of parental rights; and
(3) an affidavit by the parent designating another person or agency to act as managing conservator.

*******My advice to you: Get a good job and start saving up your money. Take advantage of having a free place to live (food,medical etc...). You will be an adult soon enough and you will find out it is not as fun as you may think it is. Continue your education, this will help you get a better job in the future.

Last edited:

Rushia

elceo said:

If you are planning to move to Illinois to be with your gf, you need to be careful. I just looked it up for curiousity and the information I found suggests (if I am reading it correctly) that if you touch her, you will be in BIG trouble. Google is your friend, please look it up for yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">