• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I move with my child??? Please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bjamm1972

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Il
I filed and received a divorce 8 months ago. We have a joint parenting agreement, with our daughter residing with me and her father has visitations every other weekend and every other Wed. He is unemployed and resides in a trailer that belongs to his mom and sits on his mom's property. All his bills are paid for by other persons. Anyway, I live in Southern Il and jobs are very scarce here. I can't afford to pay my bills. He is ordered to pay child support. hve received $0 since our divorce. He is making money that I know of for sure! I received a job offer in a town 4 1/2 hrs. away. What are the necessary steps I will have to take in order for me and my daughter to move? I also have a son(from a previous Marriage)who will be moving as well. I tried to explain everything..any help is greatly appreciated. By the way, my daughter would never ever want to be away from me or her brother. She is 8 yrs. old if that matters. Thanks Again

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I filed and received a divorce 8 months ago. We have a joint parenting agreement, with our daughter residing with me and her father has visitations every other weekend and every other Wed. He is unemployed and resides in a trailer that belongs to his mom and sits on his mom's property. All his bills are paid for by other persons. Anyway, I live in Southern Il and jobs are very scarce here. I can't afford to pay my bills. He is ordered to pay child support. hve received $0 since our divorce. He is making money that I know of for sure! I received a job offer in a town 4 1/2 hrs. away. What are the necessary steps I will have to take in order for me and my daughter to move? I also have a son(from a previous Marriage)who will be moving as well. I tried to explain everything..any help is greatly appreciated. By the way, my daughter would never ever want to be away from me or her brother. She is 8 yrs. old if that matters. Thanks Again
Have daughter live with her dad. Problem solved!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Where is your son's father? He will have to be involved in this, too.

For starters - are you planning to move out of state?

Proserpina

Is the move within the same State?

Are you willing to pay for ALL the costs of transporting kiddo to see Dad?

bjamm1972

can i move? Complicated!!

Yes, the move is in the same state. (Il)
My son's father passed away.
My daughter living with her father is not an option.
He drinks alcohol on a regular basis, smokes pot,
and that is just the stuff I am sure of!!!

LdiJ

Yes, the move is in the same state. (Il)
My son's father passed away.
My daughter living with her father is not an option.
He drinks alcohol on a regular basis, smokes pot,
and that is just the stuff I am sure of!!!
You will need to make the arguement that it is your daughter's best interest to relocate with you.

The fact that your financial issues are complicated by the fact that dad is not paying his child support is a relevant factor.

Obviously you cannot afford an attorney at this time, but you might want to get a consult with one to get some idea of where you might stand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">