• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I pay my employee directly?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AnonRealEstate

What is the name of your state? Arizona Phoenix

I have a 100 unit apartment complex in Phoenix AZ. Can I pay my property manager directly, bi-weekly, via direct deposit and/or check or am I required to pay him through a 3rd party company that specializes in employment and pay? I reside in California and my accountant (based in Los Angeles CA) recently told me that I am legally required by AZ law to pay my employees through a 3rd party company and am not allowed to pay them directly. When I asked him why this would be the case he said its because people can easily defraud the government if allowed to pay employees directly and therefore the AZ state law requires employers to pay all employees through a 3rd party company. This does not sound right to me and this is why I am posting this question here and hoping to get a proper answer and explanation. Thank you

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

I have a 100 unit apartment complex in Phoenix AZ. Can I pay my property manager directly, bi-weekly, via direct deposit and/or check or am I required to pay him through a 3rd party company that specializes in employment and pay? I reside in California and my accountant (based in Los Angeles CA) recently told me that I am legally required by AZ law to pay my employees through a 3rd party company and am not allowed to pay them directly. When I asked him why this would be the case he said its because people can easily defraud the government if allowed to pay employees directly and therefore the AZ state law requires employers to pay all employees through a 3rd party company. This does not sound right to me and this is why I am posting this question here and hoping to get a proper answer and explanation. Thank you
Did you ask the lawyer to provide you with the relevant law to read yourself?

eerelations

If you have your own payroll person and can pay your employee directly + deduct (and pay on) all federal and state withholdings etc. then you don't need a third party to do this for you.

LdiJ

So, far I haven't found anything that makes it a requirement in AZ, but I do find that the rules regarding withholding are a bit complex for AZ. You might want to go ahead and use a third party payroll service for convenience sake anyway. You would still be paying your employee directly, they would just be figuring out the withholding, would remit it to the appropriate agencies, and would cut the check or make the direct deposit for you.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
This does not sound right to me and this is why I am posting this question here and hoping to get a proper answer and explanation. Thank you
An accountant giving legal advice and getting it wrong? I wish I could say I was surprised by that, but I'm not. :rolleyes:

The accountant did indeed get this wrong. There is no legal mandate that you use a 3rd party payroll processor. They can be useful, but if you are willing and able to do all the various payroll deductions, employment tax returns, unemployment comp taxes, etc., yourself then there is nothing to stop you from doing that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">