• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i pay the damages w/o informing the insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vr

I am a teen involved in a minor accident. I was the cause. but only the bumper tilted a little of the other car when i hit it from behind at a speed of almost 0 mph. I dont want my insurance to go up. So can i pay the other person the damages and ask him not to claim i from his insurance?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vr:
I am a teen involved in a minor accident. I was the cause. but only the bumper tilted a little of the other car when i hit it from behind at a speed of almost 0 mph. I dont want my insurance to go up. So can i pay the other person the damages and ask him not to claim i from his insurance?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vr:
I am a teen involved in a minor accident. I was the cause. but only the bumper tilted a little of the other car when i hit it from behind at a speed of almost 0 mph. I dont want my insurance to go up. So can i pay the other person the damages and ask him not to claim i from his insurance?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Yes, you can. If both sides are agreeable, and no injuries resulted, you and the other driver are free to settle the matter in any legally acceptable manner.

Make sure, however, that when you pay for the damages, that the other driver signs a "Release of All Claims" form. If he/she refuses, then do not pay. Turn the matter over to your insurance company. Why? Because 5 months down the road, you could be looking at a lawsuit if you don't get one signed, and by that time, your insurance company may decide not to cover the accident because you didn't make the claim within 48 hours. You can get a "Release" from any Stationery store or, if you'd like, I'll post one here for you to use, and you can copy it to your wordprocessor.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">