• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I picket outside a bank?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Scarback

What is the name of your state? California

I intend to picket outside a particular bank to encourage people to do business elsewhere. The issue is their unwillingness to drop 3 monthly checking fees that were charged to my son's account while he was laying in the ICU ward with cancer. Up until then, it was a "no fees" account and he wasn't able to cancel the account when the fees started, since he was in critical condition. It's only $30, but screw them, it's the principle.

So what rights do I have to picket outside the bank?

Thanks for the advice,
Scarback

djohnson

How much notice was given that the account terms were going to change? If he has health issues is there a POA in case something like this comes up? I'm sorry for yours and his situation but it does seem that you (your son) didn't do everything you should to insure against problems that arise. If you do go through with this just be sure to follow the law on how and where you can do it. I don't know about your state, but would feel safe in saying that everywhere this is a limitation on private property as to what you can do. Check into them.

S

Scarback

You said "be sure to follow the law on how and where you can do it .... Check into them."

That's precisely what I was hoping to find out on this forum.

I'm new to this forum, how do I know which respondants are lawyers and which are just helpful advice givers?

HomeGuru

Hey, aren't you the person that punched a drunk guy at a party and busted his nose and jaw?

Last edited:
H

hexeliebe

That's precisely what I was hoping to find out on this forum.
Good Luck. not only do state laws differ regarding assembly and permits for such, but the laws and ordinances also differ from city to city within a state.

Now, realistically, how do you expect us to know the exact city ordinance that specifies the requirements of your township, incorporated area, city, town, borough or otherwise?

djohnson

You can (almost lol) safely judge the responders here by looking at the number of posts, how long they have been registered here, and checking their profile. There are many attorneys, and there are many that are not but is just as helpful due to the type of job they may do, or from experience. The people here will happily jump a wrong response down and bring you more info than needed. Keep checking to see if answers vary and weigh the things I listed above against the advice given.

I am not an attorney and not in you state, but have enough common sense to know right and wrong. What you are wanting to do from the info you have given doesn't seem like a good idea. I think fault may lay more at your step than the banks. If you feel it is something you want to go through with, then I gave you the best advice possible. Call for your city and find out what is required and what is legal for them. I know you will not be allowed to picket on bank property, but public property may be different in your area, it may require permits, or other things. You need to make that call and find out. We can't hold your hand and walk you to the bank and tell you what to do, only try to lead you in a lawful direction.

Please feel free to disagree guys if you want to lead in another direction :D

H

hexeliebe

no need to disagree. You just said the same thing I did but in a nicer way.

My quote of nice is in overdraft for this year :D

HomeGuru

Scarback said:
What is the name of your state? California

I intend to picket outside a particular bank to encourage people to do business elsewhere. The issue is their unwillingness to drop 3 monthly checking fees that were charged to my son's account while he was laying in the ICU ward with cancer. Up until then, it was a "no fees" account and he wasn't able to cancel the account when the fees started, since he was in critical condition. It's only $30, but screw them, it's the principle.

So what rights do I have to picket outside the bank?

**A: you are allowed to picket, but your picket sign must be firmly attached to the barrel of your rifle.

H

hexeliebe

Unless you take it down long enough to get a bead on the new forum troll Buck Barker, a.k.a. New Idiot in training.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">