• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can I protect an algorithm?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doug02346

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

Turning once again to the very many helpful people on this great resource.

I'm writing an algorithm for an app I'm developing. Of course there are countless ways to write an algorithm to accomplish the same goal. What I'm wondering is, what's the best way to protect it, if I can at all.

As usual, thank you for providing some of your valuable time. It is much appreciated!

Doug

FlyingRon

There are three general ways to protect computer software.

Copyright covers the copying of the expression. The underlying algorithm, is not protected by this. Anybody is free to implement the algorithm in their own code.
If the algorithm is novel and non-obvious, then you may be able to obtain patent protection.
The usual way is to just keep the nature of the how the software accomplishes its job to yourself as a trade secret. This won't protect someone from using the algorithm elsewhere unless they obtained it through violation of your secret.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">