• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I provide copies of my bank statements that show regular cash deposits from my employer or clients as proof of income?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

john951159

Can I provide copies of my bank statements that show regular cash deposits from my employer or clients as proof of income?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Whether the bank statements will be accepted as proof of income and whatever other documents may be needed to prove income depends greatly on the person, organization, or government agency that is asking for proof of income. As you have not (yet) provided that information, there isn't much information I can give you, but I'll give you some places to start to get the answer.

Very generally if the person/entity is a private person/entity and is not participating in a government program to aid low income people then it will be up to that person/entity to determine what is sufficient proof of income. If the situation involves the government, then it matters which agency is involved and what program(s) you wish to apply for.

Your best source of information regarding what is required is to ask the person or someone from whatever organization that will review your proof of income if they are acceptable proof and what else is required or that might be a sufficient substitute. For most federal and state government programs you should be able to find the answer as to what is required on that agency's web site.

Last edited:

commentator

There is this assumption often made that when one is going in to apply, or on line to appy for some program or service, it is an adversarial situation. People think they have to go in ready to "argue their case" quote law and tell the certifying agency what is and is not acceptable. Believe me, the people asking for your proofs of income have done this before, and will be very sure about what is considered acceptable proof and what will be accepted. So ask them.

zddoodah

You can provide anything you like. Whether it proves anything in particular to anyone depends on the person you're trying to convince. Care to provide some context?

quincy

Yesterday a poster named husdson99999 visited your thread but his post disappeared. Hudson99999 started a thread similar to yours a short time ago, but he was curious about using bank statements as proof of income specifically for apartments. Is this also your concern?

If you are looking to rent, here is a link to Hudson’s thread: https://forum.freeadvice.com/threads/can-you-use-bank-statements-as-proof-of-income-for-apartment.663140/

You might find some information in that thread that could be helpful to you.

The bottom line is that whether bank statements on their own will provide adequate proof of income for your purpose depends on the person/entity requiring proof.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">