• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I reclaim costs from illegaly parked cars on my property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

friff

Can you reclaim costs from illegally parked cars on your property? Maybe.

Why were these cars parked on your property? Was your property damaged?
They were apparently there bcuz people new I wan't in town. I don't live there. It's vacant lot in ratty neighborhood of homes.
It's just vacant land so I do't have any property like buildings or such. But ,police won't tow, it's not crime. A tow company said I or another person that 'represents' me has to be on-site to sign the tow away paper work. So, if I have to pay someone to 'Stand in' for me or I have to fly to the site in California City,Cal., zip 93505, plus rent a car, hotel food, then it will be expensive bcuz I am working in Hong Kong.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
You won't get reimbursed the costs of hiring someone to watch the property or for you to come back and handle this yourself. One of the problems of being an absentee land owner is the expense of doing this kind of stuff.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I can't see how you will suffer financials loss as the vehicle owner gets to pay for the tow.
Just make sure that you follow the letter of the law before having anything towed. It is California after all.
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum=22658
The OP wants to know about the costs he will incur in order to have the vehicles towed, whether it be the cost for a representative to handle the matter, or his own travel expenses.

adjusterjack

It's just vacant land so I do't have any property like buildings or such. But ,police won't tow, it's not crime. A tow company said I or another person that 'represents' me has to be on-site to sign the tow away paper work. So, if I have to pay someone to 'Stand in' for me or I have to fly to the site in California City,Cal., zip 93505, plus rent a car, hotel food, then it will be expensive bcuz I am working in Hong Kong.
Even if you can get a contract with a towing company and post appropriate signs, the local low lifes will just take the signs down and dispose of them. You aren't going to win this. I suggest you sell the lot, take what you can get for it and move on.

quincy

They were apparently there bcuz people new I wan't in town. I don't live there. It's vacant lot in ratty neighborhood of homes.
Why haven't you improved the lot?

Apparently the neighborhood has the need for extra parking. Depending on your property's location, you potentially could turn your vacant lot into a money-making pay-to-park parking lot.

Or, perhaps better since you do not live in the area, you could donate the lot to the city for use as a community garden. This could turn the unimproved lot in a ratty neighborhood into a neighborhood asset.

As for towing cars off the property, though, if there is no damage to your lot and you are not doing anything else with the property anyway, it seems an unnecessary expense and a bit of a waste of time. The towing would make more sense when/if you have active plans to develop or sell the property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">