• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I record my own audiobook and use it for educational purposes without infringing copyright

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FlyingRon

In the US you'd be guilty just for making the tape. Further, playing the tape in your class will also be an infringement.

Lots of English material is not subject to copyright.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
In the US you'd be guilty just for making the tape. Further, playing the tape in your class will also be an infringement.

Lots of English material is not subject to copyright.
The old stuffy works of English that I had to suffer through in High School comes to mind.

quincy

If I recorded my own audiobook of a copyrighted book and used it for teaching English would I be infringing copyright?
What is the name of your state or, if not in the US, what is the name of your country?

Creating an audiobook of a copyrighted text is creating a derivative work.

Creating derivatives is one of the exclusive rights held by a copyright holder.

You would need to get permission from the holder of these rights before making your audiobook.

Good luck.

quincy

FlyingRon is right that audiobooks can be made of works in the public domain so the books selected can matter.

And, because what is in the public domain differs by country, the name of Highland's country matters.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">