• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sell these products without problem?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nikexxs

Hello. Would I be able to sell these products without getting copyright issues? I would label it as Unofficial Game Of Thrones Merch. Here are photos of my products [Removed]]

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Hello. Would I be able to sell these products without getting copyright issues? I would label it as Unofficial Game Of Thrones Merch. Here are photos of my products
Your products raise both copyright and trademark problems. You use the Game of Thrones logo on many of your products, which is both protected by copyright and protected by trademark in the U.S. so sales of a number of your products risks infringing on those rights if you don't get a license from the holders of those rights (and that would likely be quite costly, if they'll grant the license at all). You really want to have an attorney look at all of them and help you sort out the trademark and copyright issues for each to ensure you don't run into trouble. For example, what song does the music box play? If it's the Game of Thrones music (or any music created by others), that too will be a problem.

nikexxs

Your products raise both copyright and trademark problems. You use the Game of Thrones logo on many of your products, which is both protected by copyright and protected by trademark in the U.S. so sales of a number of your products risks infringing on those rights if you don't get a license from the holders of those rights (and that would likely be quite costly, if they'll grant the license at all). You really want to have an attorney look at all of them and help you sort out the trademark and copyright issues for each to ensure you don't run into trouble. For example, what song does the music box play? If it's the Game of Thrones music (or any music created by others), that too will be a problem.
Thank you for answering! What about those necklaces([Link removed] Also there is no Game Of Thrones logo on this music box (link removed). Could I get away? If I sell music box and its playing game of thrones song but I don't say anything about it. Will it get me copyrighted too?

FlyingRon

Winter Is Coming is also one of HBO's trademarks. The same things apply.

You're going to have to come up with something original rather than exploiting other people's intellectual property.

quincy

nikexxs, what is the name of your state or, if not in the US, what is the name of your country?

Even the Game of Thrones "O" with two lines through it is rights-protected, although the President of the US has infringed on Game of Thrones rights with seeming impunity.

The work you created is nice but you risk a cease and desist letter, confiscation of your goods and/or an infringement lawsuit unless you acquire proper licensing to use The Game of Thrones material for your commercial goods.

nikexxs

nikexxs, what is the name of your state or, if not in the US, what is the name of your country?

Even the Game of Thrones "O" with two lines through it is rights-protected, although the President of the US has infringed on Game of Thrones rights with seeming impunity.

The work you created is nice but you risk a cease and desist letter, confiscation of your goods and/or an infringement lawsuit unless you acquire proper licensing to use The Game of Thrones material for your commercial goods.
I'm from Lithuania. I don't have these products by myself. I would sell them and when someone buys I would order them from AliExpress to them.

quincy

I'm from Lithuania. I don't have these products by myself. I would sell them and when someone buys I would order them from AliExpress to them.
FreeAdvice focuses on US laws and US legal concerns. You should consult with a legal professional in your area of the world for advice and direction.

Selling infringing goods is still infringement.

Good luck.

nikexxs

FreeAdvice focuses on US laws and US legal concerns. You should consult with a legal professional in your area of the world for advice and direction.

Selling infringing goods is still infringement.

Good luck.
So If I sell to USA from Lithuania but products are being shipped from China. Which Laws and legal concerns should I rely on?

Looking at the pendants some of them appear regularly on British Coats of Arms and some others seem to be Norse symbols.
How about contacting the legal team from Game of Thrones and simply asking?

quincy

Licensing rights is the best option - but a license is unlikely to be granted, at least at an affordable cost.

nikexxs should consult with a lawyer in his country before marketing the products.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">